Artificial tornadoes developed to test Japanese homesDecember 4th, 2010 - 1:01 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 4 (ANI): In an effort to understand how extreme weather causes structural damage, some Japanese companies have developed artificial tornadoes.
Four organisations- the National Institute for Land and Infrastructure Management (NILIM), the Building Research Institute, the University of Tokyo and the Disaster Prevention Research Institute at Kyoto University - have developed the tornado simulator, reports New Scientist.
“We’re doing this because there’s been many more reports of serious structural damages in recent years compared to before,” said Hitomitsu Kikitsu at NILIM in Tsukuba, Ibaraki.
The simulator is 1.5 metres in diameter and is mounted on a frame that is 2.3 metres tall and 5 metres wide. It can generate maximum wind velocity of 15 to 20 metres per second, enough to simulate an F3-size storm.
On Japan’s Fujita Scale, an F3 storm is one powerful enough to uproot large trees, lift and hurl cars, knock down walls and destroy steel-frame structures.
“This device has the ability to simulate a F3-size storm and that’s never been done in Japan,” said Kikitsu.
Kikitsu and his team plan to test the device by building model houses that fit under his simulator. (ANI)
- Back to work, with quake nightmares frozen in mind - Apr 10, 2011
- 28 die as tornadoes rip US (Second Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- 32 killed as tornadoes rip US (Third Lead) - Mar 04, 2012
- Tsunami warning lifted in quake-hit Japan (Second Lead) - Apr 11, 2011
- Tornadoes kill 14 in US (Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Missouri tornado toll rises to 132 - May 28, 2011
- Condition at Fukushima n-plant improving: Japan (Second Intro Roundup) - Mar 20, 2011
- 4 killed in Branson Tornado - Feb 29, 2012
- 232 listed as missing after US tornado - May 27, 2011
- Billings Tornado Causes Massive Destruction - Jun 21, 2010
- Global warming may cause "supertyphoons" to strike Japan - Sep 26, 2009
- Storms sweep US midwest - Apr 15, 2012
- US tornado toll reaches 38 - Mar 04, 2012
- Oregon Tornado Leaves A Trail Of Massive Destruction - Dec 15, 2010
- Four killed in US as tornadoes batter Ohio state - Jun 07, 2010
Tags: damages, diameter, disaster prevention, extreme weather, fujita scale, infrastructure management, japan, japanese companies, kyoto university, maximum wind, model houses, new scientist, prevention research institute, steel frame structures, tornado simulator, tornadoes, trees, tsukuba ibaraki, university of tokyo, wind velocity