Artificial cornea that could restore vision for millions close to realityMay 20th, 2008 - 2:15 pm ICT by admin
Washington may 20 (ANI): An improved artificial cornea that can restore the vision of more than 10 million people worldwide who are blind due to diseased corneas, is moving towards reality, say scientists in California.
Curtis Frank, Christopher Ta, David Myung, and Jennifer Cochran point out that disease or injury to the cornea the clear tissue covering the front of the eye is the second leading cause of blindness worldwide.
Although treated in developed countries with transplants from donors, cornea transplants are unavailable in many parts of the world due to shortages of donors or to cultural or religious barriers.
The growing popularity of laser eye surgery also is reducing availability of corneas by making them unacceptable for donation, the researchers add.
The report describes new materials that already have made limited-use artificial corneas available, partially fulfilling a medical dream that dates to 1771.
More advanced materials, including polymer hydrogels similar to those used to make soft contact lenses, promise to so closely imitate human donor corneas that these devices could eliminate the need for donor corneas altogether, the article notes.
The study is scheduled for the June 6 issue of ACS’ Biotechnology Progress, a bi-monthly journal. (ANI)
- Corneal prosthesis, boon for those blinded in accidents - May 21, 2010
- New synthetic corneal implants to restore eyesight in blind patients - May 21, 2010
- Artificial corneas restore sight for the first time - Aug 26, 2010
- Biosynthetic corneas restore vision in humans for the first time - Aug 26, 2010
- Blinding amoeba targets contact lens users - Sep 07, 2012
- Now, an artificial cornea from China - Jul 25, 2010
- Lady Gaga-inspired coloured contact lenses harmful for eyes! - Jan 24, 2011
- Biocompatible gel to replace damaged cartilage - Sep 06, 2012
- Looking like eye-popping Lady Gaga could make you go blind - Aug 25, 2010
- Novel hydrogel regenerates burnt skin tissues - Dec 14, 2011
- New artificial cornea allows blind man to see for the 1st time in 10yrs - Dec 23, 2010
- Scientists closer to making transplantable tissue in lab - Jan 13, 2011
- Scientists discover gene linked to clear vision - Dec 20, 2011
- PM, wife pledge to donate eyes - Sep 08, 2011
- 17-day-old baby gets cornea transplant - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: 10 million, acs, advanced materials, artificial cornea, biotechnology progress, cause of blindness, cornea transplants, corneas, developed countries, donors, jennifer cochran, laser eye surgery, leading cause of blindness, new materials, polymer, popularity, religious barriers, scientists, soft contact lenses