Archaeologists seeking ancient booty dive to Blackbeard’s pirate shipOctober 5th, 2010 - 6:28 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 5 (ANI): Archaeologists are once again heading back to the sea off North Carolina’s coast in a continuing effort to recover artefacts from the wreck believed to be Blackbeard’s flagship.
The boat, called Queen Anne’s Revenge, is believed to have sunk in 1718 near Beaufort, N.C.
Archaeologists in the state aim to save a dozen cannons, which are up to 8 feet long and weigh as much as a ton, and the ship’s 1,800-pound anchors by preventing the process that corrodes iron in saltwater.
To do so, they apply skinny aluminium rods to the boat that act as anodes, supplying an electrical charge that inhibits corrosion.
“Visibility on the bottom is about six inches with a dive light and zero without,” Fox News quoted a team member as writing on the restoration effort’s Facebook page.
“Occasional surge shifts you back and forth a few feet. Working on repositioning the 6″ suction and preparing to re-expose the grids covered over by last week’s weather,” the team member stated.
The Daily News of Jacksonville reported that last week’s heavy rain and winds kept the team from investigating the wreck.
QAR archaeological field director Chris Southerly said the team knew it would lose days due to bad weather.
“It’s imperative that we stop the damaging effects of salt water on these treasures,” Southerly said of the underwater corrosion-prevention process.
“This is a good alternative to help stabilize them when in-laboratory space is not available,” he stated. (ANI)
- Anchor from Blackbeard's flagship on display in US museum - Oct 22, 2009
- Villainous Blackbeard may be innocent of one of the most notorious charges against him - Dec 08, 2008
- Irish archaeologists say Spanish Armada wreck found - Aug 06, 2011
- Treasure trove of artifacts recovered from Blackbeard's 18th-century ship - Apr 01, 2009
- Hilt of 18th-century pirate Blackbeard's sword may have been found - Jan 16, 2011
- New bug species eating away Titanic wreck - Dec 08, 2010
- Blackbeard was American, not English, claims historian - May 18, 2009
- Discovery of Second World War German U-boat wrecks to rewrite history books - Jul 04, 2010
- Now, detect acute pancreatitis faster and cheaper with a biosensor! - Apr 26, 2011
- Titanic expedition captures new images of the wreck - Aug 30, 2010
- Nanoparticles new age answer to corrosion: Expert - Aug 23, 2012
- The Legend of Queen Anne's Revenge - Apr 24, 2009
- US Navy ship sunk in World War II battle located - Sep 11, 2009
- One of the world's oldest shipwrecks found off the coast of Devon - Feb 15, 2010
- 2,000-year-old vessels found in Sri Lanka - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: anodes, archaeological field, archaeologists, bad weather, cannons, corrosion prevention, director chris, dive light, electrical charge, facebook, field director, fox news, heavy rain, laboratory space, pirate ship, queen anne, repositioning, restoration effort, salt water, six inches