Archaeologists find some of the worlds rarest relics in IranDecember 15th, 2008 - 1:48 pm ICT by ANI
Tehran, Dec 15 (ANI): A team of archaeologists has found relics at the Joobji archeological site in Iran, which they say are among the rarest of their kind in the world.
Joobji archeological site is located in the ancient city of Ramhormoz, in Irans southwestern Khuzestan Province.
According to a report in Press TV, the relics were found in an Elamite tomb, which was discovered during construction work in 2007.
The tomb was mostly ruined and its stone structure was buried in a mound, 230 meters above sea level.
Several coffins, bronze crockery, braziers and golden buttons were found at the site which are considered exceptional in kind, Joobji archeology team director, Arman Shishehgar announced at Irans 10th International Archaeology Conference.
Shishehgar said that two bronze coffins were found in the tomb, with the skeletal remains of two women that were buried facing north.
Archeologists also found rings, bracelets, armlets and brooches in the coffins, which are similar in make to Achaemenid era jewelry.
Excavations also yielded a white faience seal, bearing a human image which resembles the seals found in western Iran and Susa. (ANI)
- Over 100 ancient tombs found in Chinese town - Jun 27, 2011
- Ancient child's coffin unearthed in southwestern Iran - Jan 04, 2010
- Tombs bear secrets of 2,000-year old Tibetan kingdom - Aug 24, 2012
- Tomb of ancient China's "major general" unearthed in China - Feb 01, 2010
- Richard III remains found in Leicester - Sep 12, 2012
- 2,000-yr-old intact female skeleton with gray hair discovered in China - Nov 25, 2010
- 93 tombs belonging to Warring States Period, Han Dynasty unearthed - May 28, 2010
- Archaeologists fail to find secret burial site at Seti I tunnel's end - Jul 01, 2010
- Italian TV host's body stolen from grave - Jan 26, 2011
- Ancient Mayan Tomb Found In Forest Of Guatemala - Jul 24, 2010
- Tomb of a teenager buried for over 1600 yrs discovered in Peru - Aug 16, 2010
- Obamas visit Humayun Tomb (U.S. President visit: latest) - Nov 07, 2010
- China's earliest wine unearthed in tomb - Jul 06, 2012
- New relics found in UAE - Jan 17, 2012
- 5,000-year-old tomb complex unearthed on Orkney Islands - Nov 01, 2010
Tags: archaeologists, archaeology conference, archeologists, armlets, braziers, brooches, construction work, excavations, golden buttons, human image, international archaeology, iran tehran, ramhormoz, relics, sea level, skeletal remains, stone structure, team director, two women, western iran