Archaeologists find rare bronze coin in Saudi ArabiaMay 11th, 2009 - 2:12 pm ICT by ANI
Riyadh (Saudi Arabia), May 11 (ANI): A rare bronze coin and remains of Nabatean potteries were discovered at the Domat Al-Jandal archeological site in Saudi Arabia by a team of archaeologists carrying out preliminary exploration work.
“It is very difficult to unearth what is below the soil but we are extremely happy to discover the antiquities after digging seven meters into the ground,” Italian archeologist Alessandro De Maigret, head of the team, told Arab News.
He said that extensive excavations would continue in the area to find the traces of the oldest inhabitants in Domat Al-Jandal. The Adomato Kingdom existed in the area during 685 BC.
“Domat Al-Jandal is an important historic site and it’s one of the oldest civilizations in the Arabian Peninsula,” he said.
It is also linked to Syrian and Yemeni civilizations of the past.
“Domat Al-Jandal is considered a link that connects these civilizations because of its location on the trade route,” said Alessandro.
“The oldest recorded history about this place dates back to the seventh and eighth centuries before Christ,” he added. (ANI)
- Abducted Saudi diplomat asks king to meet Al Qaeda demands - May 26, 2012
- Al Qaeda wanted to attack Saudi capital - Dec 03, 2010
- Saudi Arabia condemns Russian accusations over Syria - Mar 09, 2012
- US asks Yemeni president to hand over power - Jul 11, 2011
- Saudi Arabia recalls its ambassador from Syria - Aug 08, 2011
- Russia-Saudi Arabia: A growing strain - Sep 06, 2012
- Saleh's family preventing vice-president from taking full power - Jun 06, 2011
- 113 Al Qaeda-linked militants arrested in Saudi Arabia - Mar 24, 2010
- Archaeologists discover three Byzantine era tombs in Syrian cave - Nov 16, 2009
- First pharaoh-era relic found in Saudi Arabia - Nov 08, 2010
- Saudi parliamentary delegation in India - May 07, 2012
- Osama's youngest wife to leave Pakistan for Yemen - Jun 22, 2011
- Saudi crown prince dies in Geneva at 78 - Jun 16, 2012
- Al Qaeda publicly executes three for spying - Feb 12, 2012
- Archeologists find a 5100 year old door in the Swiss city of Zurich - Oct 21, 2010
Tags: alessandro, antiquities, arab news, arabian peninsula, archaeologists, bronze coin, civilizations, domat, eighth centuries, excavations, exploration work, inhabitants, potteries, riyadh saudi arabia, soil, traces