Archaeologists find inscription from the time of Alexander the GreatApril 2nd, 2009 - 3:37 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 2 (ANI): Archaeological excavations in the ancient region of Baktria in Afghanistan have revealed a unique marble slab with the image of Alexander the Great and a passage of an inscription.
The slab represents an ancient king on a horse heading Macedonian cavalry and Macedonian phalanx at the background.
An inscription written in an ancient language different from ancient Greek or ancient Egyptian languages, on which were written a large part of the stone inscriptions at the time of Alexander, is placed from the right of the military arena.
According to other assumptions, the words of Alexander of Macedonia are written in baktriyan language protolanguage of today’s Bulgarians.
According to archaeologists from the museum in the town of Balh, the baktriyan language is a language, which had been spoken by the soldiers of Alexander of Macedonia, which had unified languages and dialects in his multinational army.
Found fragments of ancient Greek inscription at the same site, suggest a possible parallel text. (ANI)
- Earliest archaeological evidence of Christianity on view - Feb 29, 2012
- St John The Baptist's Remains Found In Bulgaria, Archaeologists Claim - Aug 07, 2010
- Alexander statue leads to controversy - Jun 22, 2011
- New pieces in ancient Roman map puzzle to be unearthed - Aug 18, 2010
- Archaeology excavations begin at four ancient sites in Macedonia - Mar 05, 2009
- 2,000-year-old vessels found in Sri Lanka - Apr 22, 2011
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - Nov 19, 2010
- John the Baptist's remains may be in 5th century Black Sea monastery - Aug 05, 2010
- Lost Language Rediscoverd In Peru - Sep 26, 2010
- Archeologists claim they've located the remains of St. John the Baptist in Bulgaria - Aug 05, 2010
- Ancient site in Pakistan found, lost and found again - Aug 25, 2011
- Hellenistic coins dating back Alexander the Great's era found in northern Syria - Mar 03, 2010
- Fragments of Greek inscription found in Israel shed light on ancient Jewish warriors - Feb 18, 2009
- Study on ancient Tel Aviv fortress sheds light on its past - Dec 29, 2010
- 2,000 years old tomb found in China - Nov 24, 2011
Tags: afghanistan, alexander, alexander of macedonia, alexander the great, ancient language, archaeological excavations, archaeologists, assumptions, baktria, bulgarians, cavalry, dialects, egyptian languages, fragments, greek inscription, marble slab, parallel text, phalanx, protolanguage, stone inscriptions