Archaeologists find artifacts dating from 3700 B.C. to 600 A.D. in USApril 23rd, 2009 - 4:41 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, April 23 (ANI): A team of archaeologists has discovered artifacts that date from 3700 B.C. to 600 A.D., during a three-month dig at Miraflores Park, east of Brackenridge Park, in San Antonio, Texas.
The dig was conducted by the UTSA Center for Archaeological Research (CAR).
CAR researchers were hired by the San Antonio design firm Rehler Vaughn and Koone to conduct an archaeological site inspection before construction of a pedestrian bridge over the San Antonio River from Brackenridge Park.
“We found a lot of Early Archaic materials from approximately 3500 B.C., which are of significant interest, including two Guadalupe tools that were used either for woodworking or the defleshing of hunted game,” said Jon Dowling, CAR project archaeologist.
“It was a really small area that we expected would be open and shut quickly, but it turned out to be a treasure chest of archaeology,” he added.
According to Dowling, the artifacts will be curated and analyzed so CAR researchers can quantify and synthesize the data for better comprehension and understanding.
The discovered artifacts include an Ensor projectile point (spear point) from the Transitional Archaic period (200 B.C.-600 A.D.), Tortugas projectile point (spear point) from the Middle Archaic period or earlier, Early Triangular projectile point (spear point) from the Early Archaic period (3700-3600 B.C.), and remnants/segment of an historic relief dam used to stop flow into the old San Antonio Water Works Raceway (dam built circa 1877 or 1878.) (ANI)
- 4,000-year-old tomb found in Egypt - May 29, 2012
- 240,000 prehistoric artefacts found in China - Nov 29, 2010
- 2,500-year-old tomb found in China - Apr 24, 2012
- Earliest American residents came at least 15,500 years ago - Mar 25, 2011
- China's earliest wine unearthed in tomb - Jul 06, 2012
- Archaeological site in American county predates Egypt's first known pyramids - Jun 22, 2009
- Ten millennia old hunting weapon discovered in melting ice patch - Jun 30, 2010
- Unknown ancient kingdom found in China - Apr 24, 2011
- Israeli archaeologists find ancient bread stamp - Jan 11, 2012
- More than 240,000 cultural relics unearthed in China - Nov 29, 2010
- Over 100 ancient tombs found in Chinese town - Jun 27, 2011
- 2,800-year-old monument found in Mexico - Jul 27, 2011
- 2,000 years old tomb found in China - Nov 24, 2011
- Pills found in a 2,000-yr-old shipwreck give clues to ancient medicine - Dec 22, 2010
- Roman Settlement Unearthed In Syon Park In London On A Site For A Planned Luxury Hotel - Nov 17, 2010
Tags: archaeological research, archaeologists, archaeology, artifacts, brackenridge park, brackenridge park in san antonio, car car, car project, jon dowling, middle archaic period, miraflores park, pedestrian bridge, projectile point, remnants, san antonio texas, san antonio water, spear point, tortugas, treasure chest, woodworking