Archaeologists find 2,600-year-old mummy in EgyptFebruary 12th, 2009 - 3:08 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Feb 12 (ANI): Archaeologists have found a 2,600-year-old mummy in Sakkara, Egypt, which is encased in a limestone sarcophagus.
This sarcophagus was found inside a burial chamber 11 meters below the ground, which contained another 30 mummies, wooden coffins, and limestone sarcophagi.
According to the Egyptian Supreme Council of Antiquities (SCA), the sarcophagus dates back to 600 B.C.
The 2,600-year-old mummy was found in the most beautiful condition in the sarcophagus when it was opened, said SCA Secretary General Zahi Hawwas.
Hawwas believes that inside the mummy, there could be some 100 amulets, most of them in gold.
The sarcophagus, from the 26th dynasty of ancient Egypt, is one of the findings in the Sakkara area, some 20 km south of Cairo.
The SCA said that an Egyptian archaeological mission led by Hawwas had found about two dozen mummies in an ancient tomb of the Pharahonic era in the Sakkara area south of Cairo.
The mummies were unearthed in the tomb, which lies to the west of Zosers step pyramid, the oldest stone pyramid ever found in Egypt.
Hawwas said this is another important discovery for the Egyptian expedition.
Some 30 mummies in one room could prove that Sakkara is still a virgin site, with only 30 percent of the monuments have been found and 70 percent still buried beneath the ground, said Hawwas. (ANI)
- Archaeologists discover huge 2,500-year-old tomb near Cairo - Jan 05, 2010
- 57 ancient tombs found in Egypt - May 24, 2010
- Colourful ancient tombs unearthed in Egypt - Jul 08, 2010
- Dozens of mummies unearthed from ancient Egyptian burial ground Saqqara - Feb 23, 2009
- Archaeologists unearth 2,600 year-old chamber of mummies in Egypt - Feb 10, 2009
- Egyptian archaeologists open 2,600-year-old sarcophagus - Feb 12, 2009
- Over 20 mummies found in Egyptian tomb - Feb 10, 2009
- Egypt unearths 3,400-year-old Pharaoh statue - Nov 05, 2010
- Egypt unearths 4,500-year-old tomb - Oct 19, 2010
- 3,300-year-old tomb of army chief found near Cairo - May 30, 2010
- 4,000-year-old tomb found in Egypt - May 29, 2012
- 4,000 yrs old brightly painted mummies found in Egypt necropolis - Apr 14, 2009
- Egypt museum treasures being repaired - Feb 08, 2011
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - Nov 19, 2010
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
Tags: 26th dynasty, amulets, ancient egypt, archaeological mission, archaeologists, burial chamber, cairo, chamber 11, egyptian expedition, egyptian supreme council, egyptian supreme council of antiquities, limestone, mummies, mummy, sakkara, secretary general, stone pyramid, supreme council of antiquities, wooden coffins, zahi