Archaeologists discover two tombs from Egypts 5th dynastyDecember 22nd, 2008 - 2:39 pm ICT by ANI
Cairo, Dec 22 (ANI): An archeological mission of the Egyptian Higher Council of Antiquities (EHCA) has announced the discovery of two rock-cut tombs at Saqqara that date back to Egypts 5th Dynasty (2323-2356 BC).
According to a report in The Earth Times, the tombs were found at the el-Deir bridge area in the Saqqara necropolis near Cairo, the site where the rulers of Egypts Old Kingdom were buried, and some 400 meters south of the step pyramid of King Djoser.
EHCA Secretary General Zahi Hawas said one of the tombs belonged to Iya-Maat, who supervised the construction mission of King Unas, the last ruler of the 5th Dynasty.
Iya-Maat brought limestone from the Tura area, granite from the Aswan and red bricks or mafet from the western Desert.
He bore several titles, including supervisor of the kings property.
The second tomb belonged to 5th Dynasty singer Thinh. A lintel at the front of the tomb is engraved with the singers various titles, including supervisor of all singers.
A relief showing such a singer during a performance is found on one of the tombs walls.
Despite Unas long rule, very little is known about him and the society where he headed. Some believe the end of his rule marked the end of the golden age of Egypts the Old Kingdom. (ANI)
- Egypt opens six ancient tombs to visitors - May 24, 2011
- Colourful ancient tombs unearthed in Egypt - Jul 08, 2010
- Pair of tombs dating back to 4,300 years discovered in Egypt - Dec 24, 2008
- 4,000-year-old tomb found in Egypt - May 29, 2012
- Archaeologists find 4,300 year old tombs in Egypt - Jul 09, 2010
- Sixth Dynasty Egyptian Queen's Burial Chamber Unearthed Near Cairo - Mar 04, 2010
- 3,300-year-old tomb of army chief discovered in 'City of the Dead' - May 31, 2010
- 3,300-year-old tomb of army chief found near Cairo - May 30, 2010
- Tomb of royal scribe unearthed in Egypt - Apr 15, 2010
- Egypt's pyramids point towards city of Sun God - Apr 01, 2009
- Egypt unearths 4,500-year-old tomb - Oct 19, 2010
- Egyptian pharoah's statue found in trash after two weeks - Feb 17, 2011
- Archaeologists find burial chamber of 4,000-year-old Egyptian queen - Mar 04, 2010
- Attempt to steal pharaoh's statue foiled in Egypt - Feb 25, 2011
- Statue fragments of King Tut's grandparents unearthed - Jan 11, 2011
Tags: antiquities, archaeologists, bricks, bridge area, cairo, deir, dynasty, earth times, ehca, limestone, lintel, maat, necropolis, pyramid of king djoser, rock cut tombs, saqqara, secretary general, step pyramid of king djoser, western desert, zahi hawas