Archaeologists discover over 7,500 fragments of ancient frescos in BulgariaAugust 14th, 2009 - 1:48 pm ICT by ANI
Sofia (Bulgaria), August 14 (ANI): A team of archaeologists has discovered over 7,500 fragments of frescos during excavations in the church of the monastery complex in the Karaach Tepe area near the town of Varna in north-western Bulgaria.
According to a report in Balkan Travellers, in addition to the fresco fragments, the archaeologists discovered parts of saints’ clothes and letters with their names, national media reported today.
A bronze cross, used as a pendant, was also among the unearthed artifacts.
The monastery in Karaach Tepe, first discovered at the beginning of the twentieth century by the Czech-Bulgarian archaeologist Karel Skorpil, is among the Balkans’ biggest monastery complexes.
Archaeological excavations of the site have been going on over the past 14 years.
Experts claim the monastery has a unique layout and size, unseen in neither the Bulgarian nor the Byzantine building traditions.
The complex is thought to date to the end of the ninth and beginning of the tenth centuries and to have been inhabited until the eighteenth century.
Its building was likely commissioned by Knyaz Boris I, also known as Boris-Mihail, who ruled Bulgaria between 852 and 889. (ANI)
- Unique 10th century Byzantine seal discovered in Bulgaria - Aug 24, 2009
- St John The Baptist's Remains Found In Bulgaria, Archaeologists Claim - Aug 07, 2010
- 'Vampire' skeletons discovered in Bulgaria - Jun 06, 2012
- Archaeologists discover previously unknown Roman settlement in Bulgaria - Jun 16, 2009
- John the Baptist's remains may be in 5th century Black Sea monastery - Aug 05, 2010
- Experts find new evidence supporting John the Baptist bones theory - Jun 15, 2012
- Archeologists claim they've located the remains of St. John the Baptist in Bulgaria - Aug 05, 2010
- Ancient site in Pakistan found, lost and found again - Aug 25, 2011
- Israeli archaeologists find ancient bread stamp - Jan 11, 2012
- Archaeologists start excavation of medieval fortress in Bulgaria - Aug 03, 2009
- Chinese mine project threatens to destroy major 7th Century Afghan Buddhist site - Nov 16, 2010
- Archaeologists discover tomb of Bulgarian princess - Aug 04, 2009
- Archaeologists discover 13th century monastery in Bulgaria - Jul 18, 2009
- Archaeologists discover relics of medieval saint in Bulgarian fortress - Sep 03, 2009
- Greek goddess of fortune found at Sussita - Sep 17, 2010
Tags: archaeological excavations, archaeologist, archaeologists, artifacts, balkans, boris, bronze cross, bulgaria sofia, clothes, eighteenth century, fragments, monastery, saints, sofia bulgaria, tenth centuries, traditions, travellers, twentieth century, varna