Archaeologists discover 13th Dynasty Egyptian Pharaonic sarcophagusNovember 20th, 2007 - 3:44 pm ICT by admin
Cairo, Nov 20 (ANI): German archaeologists working in Egypt have discovered a Pharaonic sarcophagus that dates back to the 13 th Dynasty.
The announcement of the discovery was made by Dr Zahi Hawass, Chief of the Supreme Council for Antiquities, at a press conference held to mark the celebrations of the centenary of the establishment of the Deutsche Arehaologishes Institute in Cairo.
The sarcophagus, which carries hieroglyphic inscriptions in colorful hues, has now been repaired and has will be on display at a special show at the Egyptian Museum.
Dr Hawass praised the cooperation between Egypt and Germany in the archaeological domain, reports Egypt State Information Service.
He also said the two nations are now discussing prospects of Germany sending the famous bust of Queen Nefertiti for three months to Egypt so that it could be put on show at the opening of Egypt’s - and the world’s - first ever museum on monotheism, the Akhnaton Museum.
The museum is scheduled to open next year. (ANI)
- Egypt asks German museum for Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- Egypt to re-open its historical sites on Sunday - Feb 18, 2011
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Discovery in Saudi Arabia suggests Egyptian empire extended further than thought - Nov 12, 2010
- Germany rejects Egypt's request to return Queen Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- Egypt museum treasures being repaired - Feb 08, 2011
- Return Nefertiti statue, Egypt to tell Germany - Dec 21, 2009
- 5,000-year-old wooden boat discovered in Egypt - Jul 26, 2012
- Sixth Dynasty Egyptian Queen's Burial Chamber Unearthed Near Cairo - Mar 04, 2010
- Artefacts stolen from Egypt's national museum - Feb 13, 2011
- Results of DNA testing on King Tut's mummy to be revealed soon - Feb 01, 2010
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - Nov 19, 2010
- 57 ancient tombs found in Egypt - May 24, 2010
- Archaeologists unearth cache of ancient artifacts in Egypt - Jul 09, 2009
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - May 20, 2010
Tags: akhnaton, cairo, domain reports, dr hawass, dr zahi hawass, egypt state information service, egyptian museum, german archaeologists, hieroglyphic inscriptions, monotheism, museum dr, pharaonic, queen nefertiti, sarcophagus, special show, state information service, supreme council, th dynasty