Apple denies tracking iPhone and iPad users’ locationsApril 28th, 2011 - 4:58 pm ICT by ANI
London, April 28 (ANI): Apple has denied secretly tracking the location of its iPhone and 3G iPad users amid a growing scandal over a hidden program that stores the data.
In a website posting, the company said it had never tracked user location and had no plans to do so in future.
Security researchers claimed to have found a hidden file on the devices containing a record of everywhere they had been.
Some users managed to extract the data and plot it on maps.
More than a week after the issue came to public attention, Apple released an online question and answer document.
“The iPhone is not logging your location. Rather, it’s maintaining a database of Wi-Fi hotspots and cell towers around your current location, some of which may be located more than one hundred miles away from your iPhone, to help your iPhone rapidly and accurately calculate its location when requested,” the BBC quoted it as saying.
The document also addresses the fact - as some users discovered - that data going back months and even years was being stored.
“It shouldn’t. This is a bug, which we plan to fix shortly,” said Apple. (ANI)
- iPhone 'tracks location even if services are turned off' - Apr 25, 2011
- Steve Jobs makes surprise appearance to unveil iPad2 - Mar 03, 2011
- Apple's new iPad hits Japanese market - Mar 16, 2012
- Apple confirms that iPad has some Wi-Fi issues - Apr 07, 2010
- New Apple iPad in wi-fi trouble? - Mar 23, 2012
- Your iPhones may reveal your secret flings! - Apr 22, 2011
- Apple iPad available for Rs.27,900 in India - Jan 28, 2011
- Apple Confirms iPad Wi-Fi Issues And Offers Solutions - Apr 07, 2010
- Google, O-Zone tie up to provide free Wi-Fi access - Jan 12, 2012
- Your Apple iPhone is secretly tracking your privacy! - Apr 21, 2011
- AR. Drone Launched In US - Sep 05, 2010
- Apple's new iPad brings 4G, better camera, more pixels - Mar 09, 2012
- MPs can now use iPads in house - Jun 04, 2012
- Verizon, AT&T; crucial to BlackBerry tablet sales - Apr 22, 2011
- Apple iPad priced at $499 - Jan 28, 2010