Antidepressants, birth control pills blamed for low libido in womenApril 23rd, 2010 - 2:10 pm ICT by ANI
New York, April 23 (ANI): Many young women are reporting that they have a low sexual desire, with a new research blaming antidepressants and birth control pills for the problem.
Many young women have distress piled on top of the guilt about their lagging sex lives, according to a study by the International Society for the Study of Women’s Sexual Health.
And a 2008 research in Obstetrics and Gynecology magazine of 31,000 women age 18 and above found that in the 18 to 44 age group, one in 10 reported low libido, or hypoactive sexual desire disorder (HSDD).
While dysfunctional relationships, stress and depression are thought to contribute to decreased sex drive, it’s often antidepressants or birth control pills that are the culprits.
The disorder is marked not just by lack of sexual desire but also by accompanying distress.
“I think a lot of women are distressed out there and feel bad and think something is wrong with them,” the New York Daily News quoted Dr. Carolyn Nemec, woman’s health specialist in the department of family medicine at the Cleveland Clinic, as telling ABCNews.com.
“The younger patients hear so much about menopause and a lot of these women - aged 18 to 30 - don’t feel they have a voice. We need to focus on them,” Nemec added. (ANI)
- Anti-depressant can revive a woman's libido - Nov 17, 2009
- 'Viagra' for women to hit the shelves soon - May 24, 2010
- Experts encourage women to open up about their sexual desires - Jun 10, 2010
- Female Viagra Results Fail To Impress, Says FDA - Jun 17, 2010
- 'Female viagra' fails to win approval - Jun 19, 2010
- FDA Not Impressed By The First 'Female Viagra' - Jun 17, 2010
- 'Female viagra' could be approved next week by the FDA - Jun 12, 2010
- Women with low libidos have different brains, say experts - Oct 26, 2010
- Top 9 sex-related myths busted - Dec 10, 2010
- Loss of sexual desire hits postmenopausal women''s quality of life hard - Jan 22, 2009
- Womens sexual dysfunction is real medical condition - Jul 25, 2008
- Middle-aged women are sexually more active - Jul 29, 2010
- Women''s desire for sex lies in their brains - Mar 03, 2009
- Most women don't find sexual problems upsetting: Survey - Oct 31, 2008
- Study says that Flibanserin 'Female Viagra' works - May 20, 2010
Tags: birth control pills, cleveland clinic, culprits, dr carolyn, dysfunctional relationships, family medicine, health specialist, hsdd, hypoactive sexual desire, hypoactive sexual desire disorder, lack of sexual desire, low libido in women, low sexual desire, nemec, new york daily news, sex drive, sexual desire disorder, sexual health, women age, york daily news