Anjali, Avneet fail to qualify for 50 metre shooting finalsAugust 14th, 2008 - 2:26 pm ICT by ANI
Beijing, Aug 14 (ANI): Anjali Bhagwat and Avneet Kaur Sidhu crashed out of the finals of women’’s 50metre air rifle three position shooting competition at the Olympics.
Anjali finished at thirty second place while Avneet was at fortysecond position after the event.
Anjali Bhagwat was awarded the Olympic quota place in women’’s 50 m rifle three position event at the ISSF World Cup at Resende in Brazil ,despite finishing fourth in the event.
Anjai had won four golds in the the 2002 Commonwealth Games at Manchester in individual and pairs events of Air rifle and Smallbore Rifle , was also recipient of the Arjuna award in 2000 and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna for 20022003.
Whereas, Avneet had won gold in the Women’’s 10m Air Rifle (Pairs) with Tejaswini Sawant at the 2006 Commonwealth Games and had qualified for the 2008 Summer Olympics.
Previously, in the 10 m air rifle event Anjali, competing in her third Olympics, had finished twenty ninth with a score of 393 while Avneet fell by ten more places, shooting 389 in the same event.
Anjali fired rounds of 99, 99, 97 and 98 for a total of 393 away from the last shooter’’s qualifying mark of 397, in the 10 m air rifle event.
On the other hand, Avneet did have a perfect 100 in the second set after firing 98 in the first set, but her performance in last two sets of 96 and 95 did not match up to the level of top shooters in the field.
- Asian shooting: India win silver and two bronze in team events - Jan 14, 2012
- Asian Shooting: Heena misses Olympic berth by fraction of a point - Jan 16, 2012
- Bindra gets India eighth quota place for the 2012 Games - Jun 18, 2011
- Narang aims for a medal at London olympics - Nov 03, 2011
- Olympic dreams over for Rathore and Anjali (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- Olympic shooting: Narang, Rajput fail to qualify - Aug 06, 2012
- Shooter Narang opens medal count for India, wins bronze (Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- London Olympics can see a record number of Indian shooters - Jun 12, 2011
- Six-time Olympian, family duos to lead Canadian shooters at 2010 CWG - Sep 16, 2010
- Anjali, Avneet fail to qualify in women's 10 metre air rifle - Aug 09, 2008
- Olympics: Shooter Gagan Narang opens medal count with bronze (Second Lead) - Jul 30, 2012
- Shooter Rahi Sarnobat books London Olympics berth - May 19, 2011
- CWG shooting: Men get two more gold, women bronze (Roundup) - Oct 09, 2010
- Olympic shooting: Curtains over India's successful campaign (Lead) - Aug 06, 2012
- No place for Rathore; Joydeep, Heena selected for London Olympics - Feb 19, 2012
Tags: 10m air rifle, 2006 commonwealth games, 2008 summer olympics, anjali bhagwat, arjuna award, beijing, brazil, kaur, khel ratna, olympics, pairs, quota, rajiv gandhi, resende, score, shooter, shooters, sidhu, summer olympics, world cup