Angelina Jolie visits Syrian refugees in TurkeySeptember 14th, 2012 - 6:50 am ICT by IANS
Ankara, Sep 14 (IANS) Hollywood star and UN goodwill ambassador Angelina Jolie Thursday visited two Syrian refugee camps in Turkey.
Accompanied by UN High Commissioner for Refugees Antonia Guterres, Jolie met some of the 12,000 refugees at Oncupinar camp in Kilis city. She also joined the Syrian children who were singing in Turkish, Xinhua reported.
Jolie also visited Gaziantep province’s Islahiye tent city, sheltering nearly 8,000 Syrians who fled the relentless violence that has engulfed Syria for 18 months.
The Syrian crisis has forced some 235,000 Syrians to flee to neighbouring countries, according to official UN figures.
Jolie and Guterres were in Lebanon Wednesday where they discussed the Syrian refugee issue with Lebanese officials and met the Syrians seeking shelters in the neighbouring country.
–Indo-Asian New Service
- 40,000 Syrian refugees reach Turkey - Jul 14, 2012
- Top UN official to visit Syria - Aug 14, 2012
- 34,000 Syrian refugees reach Lebanon: UN - Jul 29, 2012
- Nearly 230,000 Syrian refugees in neighbouring countries: UN - Sep 01, 2012
- Syria refugees in neighbouring countries on rise - Aug 18, 2012
- Number of Syria refugees rises to 200,000: UN - Aug 26, 2012
- Over 30,000 Syrian refugees in Lebanon: UN - Jul 09, 2012
- Turkey closes borders with Syria - Jul 25, 2012
- 30,000 Syrian refugees cross into Lebanon: UN - Jul 20, 2012
- Police guarding Lebanese envoy's house in Syria killed - Sep 05, 2012
- 30 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jun 25, 2012
- 85 Syrian army men defect to Turkey - Jul 03, 2012
- Arab League offers safe exit if Assad resigns - Jul 23, 2012
- Iran vows support to Syrian leadership - Mar 31, 2012
- Jolie visits Syrian refugees in Turkey - Jun 18, 2011
Tags: angelina jolie, ankara, antonia, gaziantep, goodwill ambassador, guterres, high commissioner, hollywood star, indo, islahiye, lebanese officials, lebanon, neighbouring country, refugee camps, refugee issue, syrian children, syrians, tent city, un high commissioner for refugees, xinhua