Android phones more popular than iPhonesOctober 13th, 2010 - 1:58 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Oct 13 (ANI): It looks like Android would quickly move past the iPhone in market share.
Android phones are officially more popular with new smart phone consumers than iPhones, according to figures that have just been released by Nielsen Company.
Google gives its app developers more freedom than Apple does, and the Android operating system is available from many more carriers and on many more phones than Apple’s iPhone operating system, reports Discovery News.
But most importantly, Android phones cost less, with some being given away for free with a two-year contract.
In August, 32 percent of people who bought a smartphone chose one with an Android operating system. The same month, 26 percent bought Apple iPhones, just narrowly beating out Blackberrys, which nabbed 25 percent of the smartphone market.
It was the second month in a row that Android beat out the iPhone and the Blackberry, but the whole chart for the operating system on new smart phones between January and August of this year is below.
However, among people who already own a smartphone, Android phones are still the smallest kid on the block.
According to Nielsen, Blackberry still holds the dominant share with 31 percent of the market, though its lead over Apple is declining.
Twenty-eight percent of smartphone owners have Apple iPhones, and 19 percent have Android devices. (ANI)
- Survey reveals that Android and Apple control 71 percent of the smartphone market - Nov 30, 2011
- Android phones more desired in US than iPhone or BlackBerry: Report - Apr 27, 2011
- RIM unveils five new BlackBerries - Aug 03, 2011
- Google Android smart phones top as Nokia, BlackBerry sink - Jun 01, 2011
- BlackBerry buys software company to beef up apps store - Apr 29, 2011
- BlackBerry stock sinks as new device is no iPhone 4 'killer' - Aug 04, 2010
- Smartphones capture 40 percent of US market - Sep 02, 2011
- Apple, Google, RIM neck-and-neck in smart phone market - Mar 04, 2011
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Google, RIM are now no match for Apple: Analysts - Oct 21, 2010
- Now Apple goes after BlackBerry's enterprise base - Jul 12, 2011
- BlackBerry faces stormy AGM as Apple, Google mount pressure - Jul 13, 2010
- Apple pushes BlackBerry to third spot in smartphone market - Jul 06, 2011
- Google's Android outsells iPhone, threatens BlackBerry - May 11, 2010
- Apple's market share growth pauses - Aug 15, 2012
Tags: apple iphones, blackberry, blackberrys, consumers, developers, discovery news, dominant share, freedom, google, iphone, kid on the block, market share, nielsen company, operating system, smart phone, smart phones, smartphone