Ancient city in the Egyptian eastern borders unearthedApril 26th, 2010 - 4:56 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, April 26 (ANI): Archaeologists working in North Sinai have unearthed Tharu, an ancient fortified city, a move which stressed the importance of this area as the eastern gate of Egypt.
Head of Antiquities of Lower Egypt Department of the Supreme Council of Antiquities Mohamed Abdel-Maqsoud was speaking at a symposium held at the Bibliotheca Alexandrina.
He said that the discovery reveals the features of Horus military route between Egypt and the Palestinian lands.
Abdel-Maqsoud added such a discovery sheds light on an Egyptian defense strategy for Sinai since Pharaonic times.
On the other hand, Dr. Zahi Hawass, the Secretary General of the Supreme Council of Antiquities, said that the Alexandria Antiquities Restoration Department has completed the restoration works of 40 artifacts unearthed during excavations carried out in “Abu Seer”, 40 km west of Alexandria.
Hawass added the area in which the 40 pieces have been discovered is believed to be the house of Queen Cleopatra and Mark Antony’s tomb.
Hawass pointed out that among the artifacts a golden mask found on the face of a mummy dating back to the Romanian era. (ANI)
- Archaeologists stumble upon largest New Kingdom temple ever discovered in Egypt - Apr 27, 2009
- Headless granite statue of ancient Egypt king discovered - May 05, 2010
- 57 ancient tombs found in Egypt - May 24, 2010
- Statue fragments of King Tut's grandparents unearthed - Jan 11, 2011
- Egypt to re-open its historical sites on Sunday - Feb 18, 2011
- Discovery in Saudi Arabia suggests Egyptian empire extended further than thought - Nov 12, 2010
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - Nov 19, 2010
- Tomb of King Tut's wife may emerge in 2011 - Jan 04, 2011
- Ancient Egyptian priest's tomb discovered in Giza - Oct 19, 2010
- Statue of King Tut's grandfather unearthed - Nov 07, 2010
- Egypt asks German museum for Nefertiti bust - Jan 25, 2011
- Sphinx-lined road unearthed in Egypt - Nov 16, 2010
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Archaeologists discover largest mud-brick temple yet found in northeastern Egypt - May 05, 2009
- Statue of Tutankhamun's grandfather found - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: ancient fortified city, archaeologists, artifacts, bibliotheca alexandrina, cleopatra and mark antony, defense strategy, dr zahi hawass, eastern borders, excavations, golden mask, lower egypt, military route, mummy, north sinai, palestinian lands, pharaonic times, queen cleopatra, restoration department, seer, supreme council of antiquities