Ancient Chola period temple unearthed in North JaffnaMarch 10th, 2010 - 3:18 pm ICT by ANI
Colombo, Mar.10 (ANI): A limestone temple 40 feet long and 10 feet wide belonging to the Chola period has been unearthed in the Delft area of Northern Jaffna.
Commenting on the finding, Professor P. Pushparatnam of the Jaffna University History Department, said the people of the locality are unable to say when this temple was built.
According to Sri Lanka’s Daily News daily, the ruins indicate that the building would have been built many years ago.
It is opined that if this temple had been built during the latter period of the Dutch reign or in the beginning of British rule in Sri Lanka, the people would be in a position to give some clues about the origin of the temple, he said.
The statues and the art work on stones, irrigation pipes made of baked clay and a coin found by one of Prof. Pushparatnam’s students with the name of Rajaraja Chola embossed on it clearly indicate that the temple would have been built during the Chola period. (ANI)
- Mahatma Gandhi statue vandalised in Sri Lanka (Lead) - Apr 07, 2012
- Headless Egypt king statue could give clues to Cleopatra's tomb - Nov 19, 2010
- Headless granite statue of ancient Egypt king discovered - May 05, 2010
- US seizes stolen statues from Indian art dealer - Jul 28, 2012
- Delhi opens whole new world for Jaffna's 'war born' - Aug 20, 2011
- Millennium celebrations of Thanjavur temple conclude - Sep 27, 2010
- Krishna heads to Lanka, hopes for solution to Tamils' problems (Lead) - Jan 15, 2012
- Egypt Ramesses II temple found in Upper Egypt - Jul 16, 2010
- 1000-yr-old Tamil inscription found in Trincomalee, India - Oct 26, 2010
- Over 100 Indian fishermen detained in Sri Lanka - Feb 16, 2011
- Divers Excavate Sunken Ruins Of Cleopatra's City - May 26, 2010
- Remains of church, 'nilometer' discovered on Egypt's Avenue of Sphinxes - May 12, 2010
- Sri Lankan Tamil party accuses army of attacking its election meeting - Jun 18, 2011
- Rajapaksa has given firm commitment to empower Tamils: Krishna - Jan 20, 2012
- Prabhakaran's mother dies in Sri Lanka - Feb 20, 2011