America’s Boring is now twin town of Britain’s DullJune 7th, 2012 - 8:35 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 7 (IANS) A town called Boring in America’s Oregon state has now become an unofficial twin of a village called Dull in Scotland. But residents of both places are nevertheless happy with the association.
The Oregon Live website said the Boring Community Planning Organisation has voted to make the two communities “a pair for the ages”, the Daily Mail reported.
Differences between the towns mean they cannot become official twins — Boring has a population of around 13,000 and Dull only 84.
Boring is named after an early resident named William Boring, and Dull is believed to have got its name from the Gaelic word “dul”.
Dull consists of a single street of houses on the north side of the River Tay valley, while Boring is located in Clackamas County, Oregon.
Villagers in Dull are planning a party and hope to put up a new road sign.
“We will get a sign with both the names on it. The main thing is if we have this sign there will be more tourists coming to visit and it will be better for the area,” said Marjorie Keddie, 68, chairman of Dull and Weem Community Council.
The idea for pairing the towns came when Elizabeth Leighton, who lives in Aberfeldy, near Dull, was on a cycling holiday in the US.
She passed through Boring, and immediately phoned her friend Emma Burtles, a resident of Dull, with the idea about a link.
Boring is an industrial place while Dull’s main businesses are guest lodges and safaris for tourists.
A Facebook page “Welcome to Dull and Boring” has been set up.
- Cities named 'Dull' and 'Boring' also set to pair up - Jun 06, 2012
- Rude flight attendants could be good thing, for a change (The Funny Side) - Jun 29, 2012
- 18-month-old child accidently run over by vehicle - Jan 20, 2010
- What's your town in US? Monkeys Eyebrow, Boring, Climax? - Aug 08, 2012
- Shakespeare's 'Hamlet' 'based on an ancient Irish tale' - Mar 05, 2011
- Firefighters Rescue Camel Moses From Sinkhole - Sep 20, 2010
- Stolen vehicle found floating down Oregon river - Jan 27, 2010
- Oregon police detective arrested for domestic violence - Feb 18, 2010
- Dolphins inspire a better kind of sonar - Nov 18, 2010
- Oregon woman brings rifle to work to show colleague, sparks SWAT response - Feb 05, 2010
- Pakistani woman held for torturing eight-year-old maid - Feb 25, 2012
- Scottish businesswoman claims high heels made her drink drive - Jul 17, 2010
- Leaf-cutters switch jobs to ensure efficiency - Dec 10, 2010
- Oregon man arrested for dealing drugs along with his 22-month daughter - Mar 20, 2010
- Oregon Tornado Leaves A Trail Of Massive Destruction - Dec 15, 2010
Tags: clackamas county oregon, community planning, cycling holiday, daily mail, facebook, friend emma, gaelic word, guest lodges, keddie, leighton, marjorie, oregon live, oregon state, planning a party, river tay, safaris, single street, tay valley, tourists, twins