Ambidextrous people ‘easier to manipulate than right-handers’February 22nd, 2011 - 12:55 pm ICT by ANI
London, Feb 22 (ANI): Almost 90 percent of people use their right hand for almost all activities, while the remaining 10 percent is divided between the left-handed and the ambidextrous, people who switch between right and left.
Now, a new study has discovered that these ‘inconsistent-handers’ are more easily influenced emotionally than their right-handed counterparts, reports New Scientist.
To see whether handedness had any relationship to emotional stability, Ruth Propper at Montclair State University, New Jersey, and colleagues, played different kinds of classical music and then asked the study subjects to think happy, sad, or anxious thoughts.
Proper found that ambidextrous subjects not only reported an immediate onset of negative feelings when they entered the lab, but also found themselves consistently slipping into a new mood throughout the experiment.
On the other hand, the right-handers were far more resistant and reported less flux in emotion.
“Handedness can be a marker for how the brain is organised,” said Propper.
Ambidextrous people tend to have a larger corpus callosum - the bridge of neural fibres that links the right and left hemispheres of the brain.
According to Propper, the increased communication between the hemispheres could explain their greater emotional suggestibility.
Previous research have suggested that the left hemisphere is involved in maintaining a consistent view of the world, while the right hemisphere acts as an anomaly detector and tells the other hemisphere that it is time for an update.
In the case of ambidextrous people, Propper believes that the increased access to the part of the brain involved in noticing things that don’t fit might make a person far more willing to change his or her mind.
The findings were presented at the meeting of the International Neuropsychological Society in Boston earlier this month. (ANI)
- Lefties more likely to be angry - Sep 18, 2010
- Bilateral brains of gay men 'better at remembering faces' - Jun 23, 2010
- Being left-handed makes you angrier than average guy - Sep 19, 2010
- Double-handed kids more likely to suffer mental, scholastic problems - Jan 25, 2010
- Why 90pc of us choose to work with our right hand rather than left - Mar 09, 2011
- How a glove can change your perception of what's right or wrong - Mar 11, 2011
- Today is Left-Handers Day! - Aug 13, 2012
- Gene discovery supports handedness, language-related disorders link - Nov 05, 2010
- Our rational thinking is affected by bodily quirks - Feb 15, 2012
- Study busts myth of 'lefties' being more gifted - Jun 08, 2011
- What prompts us to choose right over left? - Mar 09, 2011
- Right-handedness existed more than 500K years ago - Apr 20, 2011
- Left-handed people more fearful - May 01, 2011
- Breakdowns in brain connections slow down physical response as we age - Aug 19, 2010
- 'Left brain crucial for music-linked emotions' - Jun 04, 2012
Tags: ambidextrous people, anxious thoughts, consistent view, corpus callosum, emotional stability, fibres, handedness, hemispheres of the brain, international neuropsychological society, left hemisphere, london feb, montclair state university, negative feelings, new scientist, previous research, propper, right and left hemispheres of the brain, right hemisphere, study subjects, suggestibility