Airport Metro to remain shut till late August (Lead)July 7th, 2012 - 4:27 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 7 (IANS) The Delhi Metro Airport Express, which will suspend operations Saturday night after major construction defects were detected, will reopen only in late August, an official said.
The Airport Metro, which ferries over 15,000 people daily on the 23-km network, covers the distance between the New Delhi railway station and the Indira Gandhi International Airport in 18 minutes.
According to informed sources, major defects in the line have led to the piers on which the tracks are placed developing cracks.
“We have to stop the service for commuter safety,” said Sudhir Krishna, secretary in the ministry of urban development.
Indian Railways, Delhi Metro Rail Corp (DMRC) and Reliance Infrastructure will be part of the safety check.
As part of the Public Private Partnership (PPP) model, on which the line was to be operated, DMRC was to carry out civil works while Reliance Infrastructure was to operate the line for 30 years and share the revenue.
“We have full confidence the line will be restored after a month,” said Krishna.
In a recent inspection, the Reliance Infrastructure-led consortium found that 250 of the 2,100 bearings (concrete structures on top of pillars on which the girders rest) on the elevated corridors were shaky.
Meanwhile, Delhi government chief secretary P.K. Tripathi said passengers can go for other means of transport for connectivity.
Built at a cost of Rs.5,700 crore ($1.2 billion at the exchange rate then), 70 percent of those using the line are headed to the airport.
- Delhi's airport Metro may re-start late August (Roundup) - Jul 07, 2012
- Airport Metro line services suspended from Sunday - Jul 07, 2012
- Delhi Airport Express resumption date unclear - Aug 14, 2012
- Probe into airport Metro flaws, August-end re-start unlikely - Jul 16, 2012
- Airport Metro to run on Diwali - Oct 25, 2011
- Airport Metro introduces new fare payment card - Aug 18, 2011
- DMRC, R-Infra passing the Express buck: Dikshit - Jul 16, 2012
- Shorter airport metro services likely to resume (Lead) - Sep 10, 2012
- Airport Metro open to filmmakers - Oct 19, 2011
- Airport Metro increases frequency during peak hours - Aug 05, 2011
- Delhi school students to get Airport Metro experience - May 01, 2011
- Government proposes restart of Airport Metro - Aug 22, 2012
- Airport Metro offers discount on Guru Purab - Nov 09, 2011
- Airport Metro's two new stations open Monday - Aug 15, 2011
- Airport Metro offers discount this weekend - Dec 08, 2011
Tags: airport express, chief secretary, commuter safety, concrete structures, construction defects, delhi government, delhi metro rail, dmrc, girders, indian railways, indira gandhi, indira gandhi international airport, late august, major construction, metro airport, public private partnership, railway station, safety check, sudhir, tripathi