Airline flies man to Sweden instead of FranceJune 30th, 2012 - 7:56 pm ICT by IANS
London, June 30 (IANS) A professional surfer who thought he was on a plane to France was shocked when he discovered he was about to touch down in Sweden after bungling Ryanair staff put him on the wrong flight.
A probe was launched Saturday into how Toby Donachie ended up more than 1,200 miles from his planned destination - sparking a security scare, The Sun reported.
He had booked a flight from Stansted, London, to Biarritz, France, with Ryanair.
But the departure gate was changed at the last minute and he was shepherded onto a plane to Malmo, Sweden instead.
Toby, 19, only realised he was heading to the wrong place when the pilot told passengers they were cruising over Denmark, the newspaper said.
The teen, from Cornwall, said: “Half-way there, there was a call saying ‘We’re flying over Denmark’.
“The cabin crew just felt really bad for me when I told them. They were worried about me and super helpful.
Toby - who was put up in a hotel and given a new ticket to Biarritz by the airline - said the incident raised questions about the security of Ryanair’s boarding procedures.
Stansted Airport said the responsibility for checking passengers at the gate and onto planes lay with airlines.
- Ryanair trests cardiac arrest passenger with a sandwich - Aug 05, 2011
- Ryanair To Charge Toilet Fee & Raise Seasonal Luggage Charge - Apr 08, 2010
- Furious Ryanair passengers stage plane sit-in - Nov 18, 2010
- Bees on a Yakutia Airline flight to Moscow creates panic - Aug 24, 2011
- Ryanair CEO: 'We are serious about charging a toilet fee' - Apr 10, 2010
- Sack airline boss to cut costs, says pilot - Sep 15, 2010
- Airline plans to show porn on flights - Nov 08, 2011
- Ryanair confirms that it is going to charge a 'toilet-fee' - Apr 08, 2010
- Baldwin kicked out of flight - Dec 07, 2011
- New aircraft seat to cram more passengers - Sep 14, 2010
- Pakistani held for aircraft hijack threat - Apr 27, 2012
- Air passengers enter Britain without passport checks - Sep 15, 2010
- Technology unable to keep up with vagaries of weather - Dec 23, 2010
- Ryanair pilot's cost cutting idea: replace boss Michael O'Leary - Sep 15, 2010
- Travel companies go back to risque adverts to boost sales - Oct 14, 2010
Tags: airline, airlines, biarritz france, cabin crew, cornwall, denmark, departure gate, last minute, malmo sweden, new ticket, pilot, planes, professional surfer, ryanair, stansted airport, stansted london, sun