After 24 years, woman proves she is alive!May 31st, 2012 - 5:14 pm ICT by IANS
Patna, May 31 (IANS) Asharfi Devi ran from pillar to post for 24 years to get a certificate to prove that she is still alive.
A resident of Barun village in Rohtas district, the woman in her mid-40s is happy like never before.
“In 1988 my husband Ramjanam Singh declared me dead and married another woman. He also managed to get made my death certificate so that I don’t claim his property,” she said.
Asharfi told IANS that she approached police, courts, the district police chief and district magistrate seeking justice but nothing happened.
“Finally, I approached the Suryapura panchayat for a certificate to prove that I am alive. A woman sarpanch, Sandhya Sinha, helped me.”
Early this week, Asharfi was declared “alive” at a crowded meeting of the panchayat.
- After village court allows live-in, woman, stepson forced to leave village - Jul 23, 2012
- No arrest so far in teen burning case; mother 'inconsolable' - May 17, 2012
- Bihar panchayat poll candidate kills self after defeat - May 23, 2011
- The grooms were drunk, the brides said no - May 01, 2012
- Man's genitals chopped off in Bihar - Mar 04, 2012
- Mother for mercy killing of two kids - Sep 05, 2012
- Poverty-stricken woman sells infant to pay debt - Sep 04, 2012
- RTI activist assaulted in Bihar - Apr 05, 2012
- Police probe Bihar legislator's role in murder - Jul 11, 2011
- Woman forced to eat human excreta on witchcraft charge - Apr 28, 2012
- Body-builder making Manipur proud - Jan 14, 2011
- 'Women village heads still struggle for acceptance' - Mar 10, 2010
- At 75, she wants her dowry back - Jun 03, 2011
- Women not safe in Bihar, says NCW team - Aug 17, 2012
- Theft of Rajendra Prasad's watch being probed - Jan 03, 2012