Aerobics can reduce migraine sufferingMarch 27th, 2009 - 1:44 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Mar 27 (ANI): While physical exercise has been shown to trigger migraine headaches among sufferers, a new study suggests that aerobics can significantly reduce the suffering.
During the study, researchers examined a sample of migraine sufferers before, during and after the aerobic exercise intervention program.
The program was based on indoor cycling (for continuous aerobic exercise) and was designed to improve maximal oxygen uptake without worsening the patients’ migraines.
The findings revealed that after the treatment period, patients’ maximum oxygen uptake increased significantly.
There was no worsening of migraine status at any time during the study period.
During the last month of treatment, there was a significant decrease in the number of migraine attacks, the number of days with migraine per month, headache intensity and amount of headache medication used.
Individuals with headache and migraine typically are less physically active. They often avoid exercise, resulting in less aerobic endurance and flexibility.
Therefore, well-designed studies of exercise in patients with migraine are imperative.
“While the optimal amount of exercise for patients with migraine remains unknown, our evaluated program can now be tested further and compared to pharmacological and non-pharmacological treatments to see if exercise can prevent migraine,” said Dr. Emma Varkey, co-author of the study. (ANI)
- Aerobic exercise reduces suffering from migraine - Mar 27, 2009
- Exercise as good as drugs in staving off migraines - Oct 11, 2011
- Weight loss surgery can help alleviate migraines - Mar 29, 2011
- Migraines do not hurt your brain - Aug 12, 2012
- Now, cure migraine with a botox jab - Jan 19, 2012
- Healthy dose of exercise is good for lymphoma patients - Oct 28, 2009
- High-dose aspirin relieves severe headache, migraine - Sep 22, 2010
- Botox may not be effective in treating migraines - Feb 10, 2011
- Special exercise programme could benefit migraine sufferers - Apr 17, 2009
- Regular aerobic exercise combats insomnia - Sep 16, 2010
- Botox Injections Approved By FDA To Treat Migraines - Oct 18, 2010
- Aerobics help improve sleep, mood and vitality - Sep 16, 2010
- Heart needs exercise not rest after heart attack, claims study - Apr 15, 2011
- Aerobic exercises trump walking for health benefits - May 18, 2010
- Migraines, headaches 'do not increase risk of cognitive decline' - Jan 20, 2011
Tags: aerobic endurance, aerobic exercise, aerobics, co author, headache medication, indoor cycling, intensity, intervention program, maximal oxygen uptake, maximum oxygen uptake, migraine, migraine attacks, migraine headaches, migraine sufferers, pharmacological treatments, physical exercise, study period, study researchers, treatment period, varkey