Advani to meet PM over Bihar floodsSeptember 3rd, 2008 - 9:21 am ICT by ANI
New Delhi/Purnia/Patna, Sep 3 (ANI): Senior BJP leader LK Advani will meet Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh here today to seek a solution to the problem of recurrent floods in Bihar, where around 25 lakh people have been rendered homeless in the worst ever floods in the Kosi region.
Advani, who made an aerial survey of flood-ravaged regions of Bihar along with State Chief Minister Nitish Kumar on Tuesday, said, “Since the recurrent floods in Bihar caused by rivers originating in Nepal have international dimensions, I would meet the Prime Minister on Wednesday to seek both long and short term solutions to the problem in coordination with the government in the Himalayan country,”
In today’’s situation, everybody should come together to help rather than indulging in mud sledging, Advani added.
Advani who surveyed Kishanganj, Virpur, Bhimnagar, Triveniganj, Purnia,
Madhepura and Supaul, called for concerted efforts to alleviate the sufferings of the flood victims.
The state’’s main opposition Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) had earlier lashed out at the state administration, accusing it of laxity in providing relief to the flood victims.
Nitish Kumar said he was confident of providing better help to the flood victims.
“We are confident that we will send flood victims to their places and provide them better dwellings than they had in the past. I tell everybody that we have taken it as a challenge and will accomplish this task with everybody’’s support,” Kumar said.
The flooding, the worst in 50 years, was caused after the Kosi River breached a dam in Nepal. This unleashed huge waves of water that smashed mud embankments downstream in Bihar state.
The waters of Kosi gushed into the state inundating vast areas and affecting around two million people. (ANI)
- 1.5 million affected in Bihar floods - Aug 22, 2011
- Flood waters enter over 1,000 Bihar villages - Aug 20, 2011
- More embankments to control floods in Bihar - Jul 05, 2011
- Floods render thousands homeless in Bihar - Aug 21, 2011
- Will there be another Kosi disaster? - Nov 29, 2010
- Bihar floods worsen, over 100 villages inundated - Jul 04, 2011
- Four years later, Kosi flood victims fight for survival - Aug 20, 2012
- Nearly 100 Bihar villages flooded, rivers rising - Jul 02, 2011
- Rising Kosi floods dozens of Bihar villages - Jul 05, 2012
- Ganges should be saved: Bansal - May 12, 2012
- Fear of floods back in Bihar - Jul 01, 2011
- Bihar flood situation grim as all rivers rise - Jul 07, 2011
- 'In Bihar, floods are a man-made menace' - Aug 25, 2011
- Over half a million hit by Bihar floods - Jul 06, 2011
- Nepal on vigil as rains lash 'Bihar's sorrow' Kosi - Jun 30, 2011