Adults’ calorie-burning ‘brown fat’ is actually good for healthJune 12th, 2009 - 12:47 pm ICT by ANI
London, June 12 (ANI): Want to shed your baby fat? Wait, don’t do it just yet, for a new study has revealed that such a fat is good - as long as it is calorie-burning ‘brown fat’.
Brown fat burns off calories and generates heat in babies and small mammals.
Most of the body fat is white fat, which also provides insulation but stores calories. It becomes “bad” fat when an individual have too much. The “good” fat-brown fat-was considered essentially nonexistent in human adults.
The new study has found that adults have much more of this type of fat than previously believed.
“We now know that it is present and functional in adults,” said the study’s lead author, Dr Aaron Cypess, MMSc, of the Joslin Diabetes Centre in Boston.
“Three ounces of brown fat can burn several hundred calories a day,” he added.
In the new study involving 1,970 study participants, researchers measured the patches of brown adipose tissue-brown fat-in people with the help of high-tech imaging method that combines positron emission tomography and computed tomography, called PET/CT.
By evaluating biopsy tissue of what appeared to be brown fat, the authors confirmed that they were, indeed, looking at stores of brown fat.
The researchers found that brown fat was located in an area extending from the front of the neck to the chest.
Of the subjects who had detectable brown fat, about 6 percent had 3 ounces or more of the fat.
“We believe that this percentage greatly underestimates the number of adults in the population who have a large amount of brown fat,” said Cypess.
They also discovered that brown fat is most abundant in young women and least frequent in older, overweight men. In fact, women were more than twice as likely as men to have substantial amounts of brown fat.
“One theory for this is that women may have less muscle mass overall, so they need more brown fat to generate heat and keep warm,” Cypess said.
The study appears in New England Journal of Medicine. (ANI)
- New tool developed to trace brown fat, fight obesity - Jul 19, 2012
- 'Good' energy burning fat exists in adults too - Apr 09, 2009
- A tissue that burns oodles of flab - Sep 05, 2011
- Apple compound may help burn fat, reduce obesity - Jun 21, 2012
- Hormone pits fat against fat to reverse obesity - Oct 05, 2011
- Heart hormone helps shape fat metabolism - Feb 07, 2012
- Brain chemical boosts body heat, helps burn excess calories - Jul 07, 2010
- Using heaters at home can make you fat - Jan 26, 2011
- Socialising with friends can help you slim - Sep 07, 2011
- 'Brown fat' discovery may help treat obesity - Jul 30, 2009
- Successful dieting may be all in the mind - Jul 07, 2010
- Eating whole grains may cut risk of cardiovascular diseases, diabetes - Oct 21, 2010
- Overweight mothers give birth fat babies - Sep 26, 2011
- Large intestine bugs play spoilsport in slimming - Dec 22, 2011
- Stem cells derived from fat cells could be useful in tissue reconstruction - Dec 24, 2010
Tags: adipose, biopsy, body fat, brown fat, calories, cypess, diabetes centre, emission tomography, fact women, human adults, insulation, joslin diabetes, mmsc, muscle mass, overweight men, pet ct, small mammals, study participants, substantial amounts, young women