About 17,000 poultry culled in West BengalDecember 19th, 2008 - 5:53 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Dec 19 (IANS) About 17,000 poultry have been culled in West Bengal’s bird flu-hit Malda district, an official said Friday.”Veterinary workers have culled 16,963 chickens and ducks till Thursday night. The culling operations will continue till Friday night and mopping up operations will start Saturday,” District Magistrate Sridhar Ghosh told IANS.
“The cullers are trying to cull more towards the evening when the poultry are back in the enclosures or farms,” he said.
The state Animal Resources Development Minister Anisur Rehman had said approximately 25,000 poultry will be culled at Narhatta and Satgheria villages under English Bazar police station in Malda, about 350 km from here.
Thirty teams comprising 150 veterinary workers started full-fledged culling operations Thursday in affected areas. Villagers are being paid compensation of Rs.20-50 for each fowl and duck depending on its age.
Rehman had confirmed that blood samples of dead poultry sent to the High Security Disease Diagnostic Laboratory in Bhopal had tested positive for avian flu.
In January, over 200,000 poultry birds were culled in several districts. An outbreak of the bird flu had been detected at Malda in March and more than 50,000 birds were culled. This is the second time the disease has hit the district.
- Culling continues in avian flu-hit district of Meghalaya - Jan 13, 2012
- Over 20,000 poultry culled in West Bengal - Dec 20, 2008
- Over 22,000 poultry culled in bird flu-hit Malda - Dec 21, 2008
- Experts to study cause of bird flu outbreak - Mar 17, 2012
- 9,000 birds culled in bird-flu hit Bengal district - Dec 18, 2008
- Bird flu: culling operations on in West Bengal, Assam (Lead) - Dec 23, 2008
- Culling on in West Bengal's bird flu-hit Malda (Lead) - Dec 17, 2008
- Disinfection in Meghalaya bird flu-hit area completed - Jan 22, 2012
- Bird flu panic abates in Meghalaya - Feb 11, 2012
- Tripura, Mizoram on bird flu alert - Feb 25, 2011
- Over 6,200 poultry culled after fresh flu in Tripura - Feb 02, 2012
- Over 10,000 birds culled in West Bengal's Malda (Lead) - Dec 18, 2008
- Bird flu: 7,000 fowls culled in Bhubaneswar - Feb 05, 2012
- Hit by avian flu again, West Bengal's Malda begins culling - Dec 16, 2008
- West Bengal starts 3-day culling in bird flu hit Malda (Second Lead) - Dec 16, 2008