Abhinav’’s father wants him to dedicate gold medal to soldiersAugust 12th, 2008 - 12:38 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi/Chandigarh, Aug 12 (ANI): Abhinav Bindra’’s father, A.S. Bindra, wants his son to dedicate his prestigious gold medal to the country’’s soldiers.
“Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh has invited Abhinav. I would suggest him to dedicate this medal to the soldiers of the country,” said A.S. Bindra, Abhinav’’s father.
A successful businessman who has provided his son with an air-conditioned shooting range where he can train, A.S. Bindra welcomed all to his home in Chandigarh on Monday and offered sweets to well wishers.
The family had held a special prayer on Sunday and brought out a newspaper advertisement urging people to pray for their son.
Bindra’’s victory eclipsed everything else on TV channels, which hailed the achievement as a morale booster for a country with few global sporting stars.
People poured onto the streets in several cities, strangers hugged each other and exchanged sweets and congratulatory messages after the victory.
As the shooter fixed his gaze on the final target, the moment condensed the hopes of an entire nation starved of a solo Olympics gold.
He hit a near perfect 10.8 in a brilliant final shot to pull ahead of Henri Hakkinen of Finland, who stumbled in his last shot allowing China’’s Zhu Qinan, the favourite, to take the silver.
India had only won four individual medals, none of them gold, since sending their first team to the Summer Games in 1928.
The men’’s hockey team has won the Olympic tournament eight times, but the last time was in 1980. (ANI)
- Cash award to Bindra for Asian shooting gold - Jan 18, 2012
- Asian Championship: Bindra wins gold beating close rival Zhu - Jan 13, 2012
- Winning two silver medals in a tough field is creditable, says Narang - Nov 13, 2010
- Olympic gold medalists victory dominates national media - Aug 12, 2008
- Olympics: India pins hopes on shooters Abhinav, Gagan - Jul 29, 2012
- Olympics: India hope to get lion's share from the ranges (Preview) - Jul 27, 2012
- India expecting first Asian Games medals from Bindra, Narang - Nov 12, 2010
- Olympics: India on a medal count - Jul 27, 2012
- Asian Games: Gagan Narang shoots a silver double on opening day (Intro Round Up) - Nov 13, 2010
- Hockey legend Dhyan Chand recommended for Bharat Ratna - Dec 21, 2011
- For Abhinav, it's practice as usual on olympic feat anniversary - Aug 11, 2009
- Bindra wins silver in Asian Airgun Championship - Oct 19, 2011
- Asian Games: Narang gives India double silver on opening day (Roundup) - Nov 13, 2010
- Asian Games shooting: Narang helps India win two silver - Nov 13, 2010
- Beijing is past, I have to start afresh in London: Bindra - Jul 26, 2012
Tags: abhinav, chandigarh, congratulatory messages, dr manmohan singh, eight times, final target, gold medal, hakkinen, hockey team, manmohan, manmohan singh, morale booster, newspaper advertisement, olympic tournament, shooting range, special prayer, successful businessman, summer games, tv channels, well wishers