Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavengingJuly 16th, 2012 - 4:59 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) Actor-activist Aamir Khan Monday met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and union minister Mukul Wasnik here and raised the issue of the plight of manual scavengers in the country.
Aamir called on the prime minister at his official residence at 7, Race Course Road, and sought that the practice be done away with.
Later, in a joint press conference with Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Wasnik, Amir said that both Singh and Wasnik were aware of the issue and would step up efforts to address it as soon as possible. He met Wasnik at his office in Shastri Bhawan.
“We believe that every person should have the right to live a life of dignity. The fact that even today, a section of our society works as manual scavengers, it is unfortunate for not only the society but for entire nation,” Wasnik said.
Aamir had highlighted the issue in a recent episode of his popular television programme “Satyameva Jayate”.
- Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging (Lead) - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Draft bill against manual scavenging with stricter provisions in monsoon session' - Jul 16, 2012
- End manual scavenging, say Mumbai protesters - Jul 16, 2012
- Aamir to meet PM on manual scavengers' plight - Jul 15, 2012
- Maharashtra to rid Pandharpur of manual scavenging - Jul 18, 2012
- Government plans new bill to ban manual scavenging - Apr 19, 2012
- Manual scavenging a dark blot, must end: PM (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Aamir's 'Satyamev Jayate' top five trends on Twitter - May 06, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev...' ends with aplomb - Jul 29, 2012
- Lok Sabha adjourned over black money issue - Aug 13, 2012
- Bill to eliminate manual scavenging tabled in Lok Sabha - Sep 03, 2012
- PM to set up panel for senior citizens' welfare - Feb 01, 2012
- No villain in my show: Aamir - May 06, 2012
- 'Rigorous efforts to abolish manual scavenging by March 2010' - Jan 18, 2010
- Bill to eliminate manual scavenging tabled in Lok Sabha (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, activist, amir, dignity, empowerment, manmohan, manmohan singh, manual scavengers, mukul, New Delhi, plight, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, social justice, television programme, union minister