Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging (Lead)July 16th, 2012 - 6:42 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 16 (IANS) Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and union minister Mukul Wasnik Monday assured actor-activist Aamir Khan that the government will work to eliminate manual scavenging from the country at the earliest, he said Monday.
Aamir Khan Monday called on Prime Minister Manmohan Singh at his official residence at 7, Race Course Road, and met union Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Wasnik at his office in Shastri Bhawan and discussed with them the plight of manual scavengers in the country.
Later, at a joint press conference with Wasnik, Aamir said both the prime minister and Wasnik were aware of the issue and would step up efforts to address it as soon as possible. He met Wasnik
“Wasnik assured me that his ministry is already working on the matter and that both his ministry and the Prime Minister’s Office will work to eliminate manual scavenging at the earliest,” he said.
Wasnik said: “We believe that every person should have the right to live a life of dignity. The fact that even today, a section of our society works as manual scavengers, it is unfortunate for not only the society but for entire nation.”
“I am glad that Aamir Khan has raised this issue and I believe that the way he has focused on the issue will help create awareness in the society on the matter and we will soon be free of this malpractice,” he added.
However, Aamir said that the state governments were not as willing to accept the problem.
“Many states do not acknowledge that the problem exists. They do not maintain any records of the manual scavengers and claim that the problem doesn’t exist,” he said.
Aamir had highlighted the issue in a recent episode of his popular television programme “Satyameva Jayate”.
- Aamir meets PM, seeks scrapping of manual scavenging - Jul 16, 2012
- Aamir to meet PM on manual scavengers' plight - Jul 15, 2012
- End manual scavenging, say Mumbai protesters - Jul 16, 2012
- 'Draft bill against manual scavenging with stricter provisions in monsoon session' - Jul 16, 2012
- Maharashtra to rid Pandharpur of manual scavenging - Jul 18, 2012
- Bill to eliminate manual scavenging tabled in Lok Sabha - Sep 03, 2012
- Manual scavenging a dark blot, must end: PM (Lead) - Jun 17, 2011
- Aamir's 'Satyamev...' ends with aplomb - Jul 29, 2012
- Aamir's 'Satyamev Jayate' top five trends on Twitter - May 06, 2012
- Government plans new bill to ban manual scavenging - Apr 19, 2012
- Bill to eliminate manual scavenging tabled in Lok Sabha (Lead) - Sep 03, 2012
- No villain in my show: Aamir - May 06, 2012
- Parliamentary panel invites Aamir for inputs on medical issues - Jun 18, 2012
- Apologize, doctors tell Aamir Khan - May 30, 2012
- Gehlot, Aamir meet to discuss female foeticide (Lead) - May 09, 2012
Tags: aamir khan, activist, dignity, empowerment, malpractice, manmohan, manmohan singh, manual scavengers, mukul, New Delhi, plight, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, social justice, state governments, television programme, union minister