A nutritious lunchbox could promote optimal learning for school kidsSeptember 6th, 2010 - 12:58 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Sept 6 (ANI): A child’s lunchbox may not only hold secrets to better physical health but can help a child mentally prepare for learning, says a new study.
“Parents can make the school day easier for their children by providing nutritious and yummy breakfasts, lunches, and snacks that promote optimal learning,” said Karin Richards, director of the Exercise Science and Wellness Management program and director of Health Sciences at University of the Sciences.
Richards suggests the following while planning a lunchbox for your children:
Incorporate at least three types of foods into each meal - including protein, carbohydrates - carbs will give your child energy while the protein will satisfy the appetite for a longer period of time.
Encourage them to try new and interesting fruits and vegetables like kiwi, papaya.
Experiment with breakfast - Thin crust pizza, peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat, a grilled chicken sandwich, or last night’s leftovers can be nutritious, delicious and fun breaks. Add more veggies to everyday favourites.
Prepare homemade pancakes on Sunday evening and freeze for quick access later in the week.
Try low-fat or skim milk and bottled water for beverages.
Watch the portion sizes.
Turkey on whole-wheat bagel, hummus, tuna, low-fat roast beef with low-fat cheese and Peanut butter crackers make for healthy lunches.
Baked chips, oranges, apples, Graham crackers and honey wheat pretzel sticks make healthy snacks.
Richards also suggested using tools such as the customized nutritional guide at www.mypyramid.gov, which will help parents determine the proper intake amount based upon a child’s age, gender, and activity level. (ANI)
- Healthy Low Calorie Snacks for Weight Loss - Oct 16, 2010
- Healthy snacks could lead to weight loss - Oct 15, 2010
- Now, a perfect sandwich for every mood - Jul 15, 2010
- Popping raisins curbs calorie intake in children - Jun 03, 2012
- Beat diabetes with a wheat and rice free diet - Aug 05, 2011
- 'Diet in a box' delivered to your door-the latest slimming fad in UK - Dec 13, 2010
- Pistachios pip pretzel as weight-loss snack - May 04, 2011
- Dessert with breakfast can benefit dieters - Jun 26, 2012
- Pistachios, not pretzels, are weight-loss snack! - May 04, 2011
- Eggs at breakfast help teenagers modulate hunger, weight - Jun 03, 2010
- Cereal bars not so healthy after all - Aug 18, 2012
- Rihanna's workouts in wee hours - May 10, 2012
- Eating habits that ensure a longer life - Dec 23, 2010
- Protein-rich breakfast wards off overeating - May 20, 2011
- Healthy breakfast and lunch can guarantee kids' academic success - Jul 27, 2009
Tags: fruits and vegetables, graham crackers, grilled chicken sandwich, healthy snacks, homemade pancakes, honey wheat, least three types, low fat cheese, lunchbox, mypyramid gov, nutritional guide, optimal learning, peanut butter and jelly, peanut butter crackers, portion sizes, pretzel sticks, school kids, thin crust pizza, using tools, whole wheat