A new food processing plant in Assam changes lives of peopleMarch 17th, 2008 - 9:36 pm ICT by admin
Kamrup (Assam), March 17 (ANI): The setting up of a food processing plant in Boko area of the States Kamrup District of Assam has changed the lives of the people of the area.
By establishing the food processing plant called ‘RITTY’ in Boko region almost a year back, Pranab Mohanta has been able to provide employment for youngsters of the district.
Pranab Mohanta, who comes from an agriculturists family, graduated in science from Guwahati University. He founded the food processing unit through a loan. The youngsters, who consider farming as not dignified profession, have changed their views.
BOKO area is known for it production of oranges, pineapples, bananas, and other vegetables. The farmers, who had to search for markets are not able to process the fruits and vegetables in the distict itself.
The food processing plant turns out canned and bottled fruits and vegetable products. The production amounts to 15 to 20 tonnes per week. It also exports its products to South America and other parts of the world.
Deepika, one employee said: Here we make slices with the help of equipments and also make pickles and other home made products. We get employment.”
Gita Devi, another employee said: I have learnt a lot after coming here. Earlier, I used to sit idle at home. We make pickles and earn money. It’s nice to be here and I am enjoying the work.”
Pranab Mohanta, however, says: Whenever there is a Bandh, it causes heavy loss to the farmers. This loss is not only of the farmers but of the whole nation.”
Mohantas concern about the frequent Bandhs in the State is shared by most of the young people whose life is affected .
In Assam, the educated youth do not want violence; they feel militancy has affected the growth of the State for long. They are keen to contribute to the growth of the State.
They hope that militant outfits like ULFA will not impede peace and development. (ANI)
- Northeast's fourth mega food park in Tripura - Jul 29, 2012
- This pickle bank tickles them pink - Feb 07, 2012
- Three day 'Pineapple Festival' starts in Imphal - Jul 14, 2010
- Handicrafts from border areas a hit at exhibition - Nov 27, 2011
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Third Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Bill Clinton Stars on 'Rachael Ray' Show - Sep 20, 2011
- Himachal farmers going organic - 25,000 of them - Jan 18, 2012
- Two killed in Nigeria bank attack - Aug 26, 2012
- Himalya International plant starts production - Apr 26, 2012
- West Bengal to set up 31 cold storage facilities - Feb 02, 2011
- Assam toll now 19, shoot at sight orders in Kokrajhar (Second Lead) - Jul 23, 2012
- Abducted Assam officials released - Mar 06, 2012
- Assam government to support storm-affected - Apr 15, 2010
- Nuclear technology will aid people, farms and factories: BARC director (Interview) - Jul 19, 2012
- Organic potatoes, with love, for Bihar legislators - Mar 28, 2012
Tags: assam, bananas, bandh, educated youth, farmers, food processing plant, fruits and vegetables, gita, march 17, militant outfits, new food, oranges, pickles, processing unit, profession, south america, tonnes, vegetable products, violence, youngsters