A gambler who gives casino winnings to poorJuly 29th, 2010 - 4:32 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, July 29 (IANS) A mystery man who goes by the name of “Robin Hood” gambles in Las Vegas casinos and gives his winnings to poor families, saying it was “satisfying knowing I have perhaps changed their lives”.
Along with his girlfriend - a Brazilian model who calls herself “Lady Greice” - Robin has set up a website inviting people to send in their hard-luck stories and apply for up to 30,000 pounds, the Daily Mail reported.
Since starting on his mission, the gambler has given away more than 600,000 pounds to “deserving” families, including 20,000 pounds to a family who were in debt after paying for vital drugs to treat their toddler daughter’s brain tumour.
Robin, who claims to have gambled professionally since the age of 16, said it was time to help others lead a better life.
“Most people can only dream the sort of lifestyle I have: Jets to fly me to casinos, staying in 8,000 sq ft penthouse apartments, so I wanted to give them a taste of what it is like,” he said.
“It would be easier just to hand them money but by using my skills as a blackjack player it means that I have earned the money by doing my job.”
“I always loved the film ‘Robin Hood’, particularly the original with Errol Flynn. I think Russell Crowe is great as Robin. I loved the film.”
“I thought if Robin could do that all those years ago I could do something similar in Vegas. I called myself Robin Hood 702. The 702 is the postcode for Las Vegas.”
Even the casinos are not sure of his identity.
Robin is now trying to persuade some billionaire friends to join him in giving back to those less fortunate. “I call them my Merry Men,” he said.
- Hilton wins $30,000 on birthday trip - Feb 19, 2012
- Blackjack Robin Hood to help two deserving families this year - Dec 20, 2009
- Limited, yet luxurious: Gaming gets big in India - Sep 21, 2011
- Las Vegas casinos spoiled the adulterous Tiger Woods - Dec 21, 2009
- Robin Hood 702: Sherwood Forest Folklore Hero Reincarnated - Dec 19, 2009
- Will Smith: Will He Be The Next Robin Hood? - Dec 08, 2010
- 50 Cent to launch gambling game - Apr 25, 2012
- German 'Robin Hood' doles out money to needy - Mar 03, 2012
- Discotheque At The Ex-Rat Pack Hangout Closes - Apr 01, 2010
- Sheen likens self to Errol Flynn, admits its time to 'put down his sword' - Feb 03, 2011
- Live your 'Casino Royale' moment in Goa - Aug 03, 2011
- 'Ek Main Aur... ' puts spotlight on Las Vegas - Dec 31, 2011
- Casino at ex-Rat Pack hangout to close down - Apr 02, 2010
- Jordan, Barkley made Woods 'a self-indulgent, sex-crazed narcissist' - Apr 01, 2010
- Gaga to donate 625,000 pounds to help homeless youth - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: billionaire, blackjack player, brain tumour, brazilian model, casino winnings, daily mail, deserving families, doing my job, errol flynn, gambles, hard luck, las vegas casinos, merry men, mystery man, penthouse apartments, poor families, robin hood, russell crowe, toddler daughter, vital drugs