936 from St. Andre opted for Portuguese citizenshipJuly 21st, 2012 - 4:00 pm ICT by IANS
Panaji, July 21 (IANS) At least 936 Indian citizens from the St. Andre assembly constituency, 15 km from here, have opted for Portuguese nationality in the last five years, Goa Chief Minister Manohar Parrikar has said.
Parrikar was responding to a question by St. Andre’s legislator Vishnu Wagh in the Goa legislative assembly.
“They have surrendered their Indian nationality,” Parrikar, also a home minister, said.
Goa was a former colony of the Portuguese right up to 1961, when the Indian Army liberated the state. The Portuguese government grants its citizenship to ethnic Goans, whose parents were born in Portuguese-held Goa.
- 'Not 1857, 1583 Goa revolt was first Indian mutiny' - Jul 16, 2012
- Goa assembly should decide on midnight session speaker: NCP - Nov 12, 2011
- Younger Goans in Portugal prefer movies to culture - Jun 02, 2011
- Goa may shut down nearly 10 illegal mines - Aug 06, 2012
- Parrikar asks armed forces to vacate land - Jul 19, 2012
- Muthalik will be arrested if he enters Goa: Parrikar (Lead) - Jul 18, 2012
- Portuguese language could help build bridges: Goan author - May 30, 2012
- Goa liberation: Relatively bloodless but indelibly etched in mind (December 19 is the 50th anniversary of Goa's liberation) - Dec 15, 2011
- Congress demands auction of Goa iron ore mines - Aug 27, 2012
- Goa to abolish colonial era tax on temples - Mar 29, 2011
- Goans, under 21s, may be banned from Goa's casinos - Jul 05, 2012
- Goa skips siesta to vote, as high as 80 percent (Evening Lead) - Mar 03, 2012
- Mining and casino-friendly Parrikar is like Chanakya: Congress - Aug 30, 2012
- Goa freedom fighters attack Portuguese envoy - Apr 26, 2011
- Goa mulls law barring politicians from sports bodies - Jul 27, 2012
Tags: chief minister, citizenship, constituency, goa, goans, government grants, home minister, indian army, indian citizens, indian nationality, legislative assembly, legislator, manohar parrikar, parents, portuguese government, portuguese nationality, wagh