90 musicians from around the world perform for YouTube orchestraApril 16th, 2009 - 12:09 pm ICT by ANI
London, Apr 16 (ANI): Almost 90 musicians from over 30 different countries have made their debut in the YouTube Symphony Orchestra in New York.
The musicians were chosen from a contest held by the video-sharing website, in which musicians from around the world could upload a clip of themselves playing.
Over 3,000 people posted audition videos, out of which 200 finalists were selected before YouTube viewers voted for the winners.
All winners were then flown in to play at Carnegie Hall - one of the most prestigious venues in the world.
The musicians, who came form as far away as Australia and South Korea, had just three days to practise before the concert held on April 15.
They performed an extensive programme, which includes a specially written piece called Internet Symphony No 1, Eroica, by Chinese composer Tan Dun.
San Francisco Symphony Orchestra music director Michael Tilson-Thomas led the orchestra.
“We’re going to give a terrific show at Carnegie Hall that will have some very new and different things about it, both in the way it sounds and the way it looks,” the BBC quoted him as saying before the performance.
He added: “But really the most important part of this is how the world out there on the internet will be experiencing that and that will be developing over time as more edits and more uploads take place.” (ANI)
- YouTube announces its online symphony orchestra - Mar 03, 2009
- First You Tube Symphony Orchestra to have 90 musicians from around the world - Mar 03, 2009
- YouTube global symphony to showcase Indian traditional music - Jan 17, 2009
- YouTube invites classical musicians to play Beijing Olympics theme composers music - Dec 02, 2008
- YouTube Unveils Face Blurring System - Jul 19, 2012
- YouTube to show British royal wedding live - Apr 20, 2011
- YouTube increases video upload limit to 15 minutes - Aug 01, 2010
- 36 hours of videos uploaded on YouTube every minute - Feb 16, 2011
- Symphony Orchestra Of India Debuts In The International Market - Jun 14, 2010
- Bangalore whizkid wins YouTube science contest - Feb 22, 2012
- YouTube to 'improve search techniques on site' - Nov 11, 2010
- Dominican woman uses her body for advertising - Aug 28, 2012
- Pizza chef Carmelo Raccuglia's video goes viral - Jan 25, 2012
- Cyberspace abuzz with Dhoni, World Cup searches - Apr 03, 2011
- South Asian musicians present Beethoven for flood-hit Pakistan - Feb 01, 2011
Tags: australia, bbc, carnegie hall, chinese composer, debut, different things, eroica, michael tilson thomas, music director, musicians, orchestra london, orchestra music, prestigious venues, san francisco symphony, san francisco symphony orchestra, south korea, symphony no 1, tan dun, video sharing website, youtube