8-yr-old grows new kidneys after old ones failMay 18th, 2010 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
London, May 18 (ANI): An 8-year-old girl demonstrated a miracle to doctors when she grew two new kidneys after her original kidneys failed.
Angel Burton was a victim of painful infections and innumerable scans ever since she was a little girl, but when she was to undergo an operation to create an artificial valve, the doctors were amazed to find that she had grown 2 new kidneys.
The new kidneys are fully functional - a sign that she is cured.
Around 1percent of people have an extra “duplex” kidney, but it is very rare for them to be fully formed.
“It’s a real miracle. It’s absolutely amazing that none of her scans picked the extra kidneys up.
“Now you would never know she had been ill at all.
“We’re just so grateful to have Angel back to her happy, healthy self,” The Daily Star quoted her mother, Claire Burton.
The child was diagnosed with bilateral reflux, which meant the valves to her bladder were not working properly and urine leaked into her kidneys, causing painful infections.
Angel had to have regular kidney scans.
“They told us her kidneys were permanently damaged,” said Claire.
“I remember Angel coming around and I told her what they’d found. She said: ‘God gave me the healthy kidneys and forgot to take the old ones away.’
Consultant Prasad Godbole, from Sheffield Children’s Hospital, who operated on Angel, said, “Duplex kidney rarely comes to light.
“I was surprised we had it in Angel because none of the previous X-rays had shown that. Her kidneys are working fine.” (ANI)
- At 82, she underwent her 11th surgery - Jul 13, 2011
- Stinking of rotten fish, woman took 10 showers a day - Apr 17, 2012
- 3-year-old 'miracle' Brit girl overcomes 4 killer heart defects - Apr 26, 2011
- Baby's cancer removed while in mother's womb - Jun 23, 2012
- Unborn Brit baby cures mother's cancer by kicking! - Jul 25, 2010
- Brit mum saves baby by refusing to end pregnancy on doctors' advice - Apr 11, 2011
- Stillborn Brit baby 'comes back to life after 25 minutes' - Mar 03, 2011
- Singer Etta James dies - Jan 21, 2012
- Indian origin surgeon blasts kidney stones, saves boy's life - Sep 01, 2010
- Mum-to-be Simpson goes for night out - Jan 22, 2012
- Stewart, Pattinson had family plans - Aug 08, 2012
- US woman's hands, legs consumed by flesh-eating bacteria - May 20, 2012
- Abishek accompanied Big B for his checkup - Apr 10, 2012
- Power of positive thinking: Girl saves mother with love letters - Nov 05, 2011
- Pen removed from woman's tummy after 25 years - Dec 22, 2011
Tags: 1percent, angel, bilateral reflux, bladder, burton, daily star, doctors, duplex kidney, god, healthy self, kidneys, little girl, london, old girl, painful infections, real miracle, s hospital, sheffield children, x rays