66mn-yr-old ‘bizzare’ croc ‘may have been a vegetarian’December 9th, 2010 - 12:44 pm ICT by ANI
London, Dec 9 (ANI): Crocodiles are known to be carnivores, but a new study might prove otherwise.
Scientists now suggest that the basic body structure of crocodiles, alligators and ghariels evolved from a diverse group of prehistoric reptiles with different body shapes.
Over the last 10 years, palaeontologists have put together the complete skeleton of the unusual crocodilian Simosuchus clarki.
“The skull and lower jaw in particular are preserved almost completely,” the BBC quoted Nathan J. Kley, co-editor of the recent study in the Society of Vertebrate Palaeontology Memoir, as saying.
S. clarki differs greatly to other crocodilians with a blunt snout, short tail and “tank-like” body.
With its short jaw and weak, leaf-shaped teeth, scientists suggest that the reptile would have been unable to hunt prey in water. In fact, the ancient crocodile may have lived inland, fed on vegetation in its semi-arid grassland habitat, they said.
Researchers describe S. clarki as the “most bizarre” of a group of fossilised crocodilians thought to live around 66 million years ago.
The study appears in the Society of Vertebrate Paleontology Memoir. (ANI)
- New fossil material reveals Azendohsaurus as an early reptile, not a dinosaur - May 19, 2010
- Long-sought fossil mammal with transitional middle ear found in China - Apr 14, 2011
- Meet the planet's most powerful biters - Mar 19, 2012
- 27-foot crocs roamed east Africa - May 07, 2012
- New skeletons from Dino-era reveal what reptile Typothorax looked like - May 22, 2010
- Dinosaur-like sea reptile suffered from arthritis too - May 16, 2012
- Gigantic new turtle fossil discovered - Jul 12, 2012
- 'Great-grandmother' of crocodiles that lived 225mn yrs ago found - Jan 14, 2011
- Tyrannosaurs were scavengers, not predators - Jul 09, 2010
- Can the gharial win the battle for survival? - Mar 18, 2012
- Newly discovered species of dinosaur bridges gap in dinosaur family tree - Apr 13, 2011
- Jenna Dewan Tatum bares all for new PETA campaign - Jul 07, 2010
- Dinosaur-bird 'missing link' could be egg - Jul 13, 2012
- Most alligators remain paired to their mates for life - Oct 08, 2009
- Experts better than machines at reconstructing fossils - Nov 17, 2009
Tags: alligators, arid grassland, body structure, carnivores, co editor, croc, crocodiles, crocodiles alligators, crocodilians, different body shapes, diverse group, grassland habitat, kley, lower jaw, memoir, million years, prehistoric reptiles, reptile, snout, vegetarian london