5 ancient tombs of Song and Ming Dynasties discovered in ChinaMay 29th, 2009 - 2:34 pm ICT by ANI
Shanghai, May 29 (ANI): An archaeological team has discovered five ancient tombs of the Song and Ming dynasties in Huai’an, east China’s Jiangsu Province.
According to a report in Shanghai Daily, the burial sites were originally accidentally discovered by workers of local electricity supply department when they made the ground work to set up a power-supply tower, a member of the archaeological team said.
The history of the tombs dated back to Song Dynasty (960-1279) and Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), confirmed by the experts who studied the discoveries from inside the tombs.
“We find at last 5 tombs in No.57 (Electricity-Supply) Tower Footing Area, from two different ages namely Song and Ming,” said Yin Zenghuai, member of the archeological team in Huai’an Municipal Museum, Jiangsu.
There are two burial styles: brick-wall tomb and coffin burial.
According to the tombs’ size and style, experts confirm that they are small and medium-sized family tombs.
Inside the tomb, burying a couple in Ming Dynasty, 4 well-preserved Longquan celadon bowls were discovered.
The excavation work is continuing, covering larger areas around the tomb sites. (ANI)
- Ancient kiln replica being built in China - Jun 10, 2012
- 30,000 antiques to be salvaged from sunken Chinese ship - Aug 19, 2012
- Portion of China's Great Wall collapses after rains - Aug 09, 2012
- 200 ancient forts found in Chinese mountains - Apr 24, 2012
- Four tonnes of ancient coins found - Dec 23, 2010
- Kite carries flier of the ground - Apr 13, 2011
- Ancient shipwrecks unearthed in China - May 29, 2012
- Chinese ancient liquor breweries eye heritage list - Jul 11, 2012
- 2,000 years old Xi'an tomb unearthed to study Western Han Dynasty - Apr 09, 2011
- No commercial activity at China's historical sites - Sep 02, 2011
- Great Wall ruins discovered in northeast China's Jilin Province - Dec 14, 2009
- 120 tombs found in China construction site - Oct 30, 2010
- 3,300-year-old tomb of army chief discovered in 'City of the Dead' - May 31, 2010
- China to elevate 600-year-old religious site - Aug 15, 2012
- Tomb mural depicts how traditional Chinese medication was practiced 1,000 yrs ago - Apr 16, 2009
Tags: ancient tombs, archaeological team, bowls, brick wall, burial sites, china shanghai, coffin, discoveries, east china, electricity supply, excavation work, family tombs, footing, jiangsu province, ming dynasties, power supply, song dynasty, style experts