453-yr-old ‘debit card’ unearthed in GermanyApril 17th, 2011 - 5:52 pm ICT by ANI
Berlin, April 17 (ANI): Archaeologists have discovered a 453-year-old wooden ‘tally stick’, used to keep track of debts, in Germany.
“It’s something of a rare find in Europe” said archaeologist Andreas Hille from the State Museum of Prehistory in Halle, Saxony-Anhalt.
The antiquated debt counter, unearthed in town of Wittenberg, Saxony-Anhalt, measures 30 cm in length and displays 23 notches, with both a name and the date 1558 visible, reports The Local.
Archaeologists made the exciting find during excavations in the small easterly university town of Wittenberg, made famous by the Protestant theologian Martin Luther.
The well-preserved tally stick was used in the Middle Ages to count the debts owed by the holder in a time when most people were unable to read or write.
“Debts would have been carved into the stick in the form of small notches. Then the stick would have been split lengthways, with the creditor and the borrower each keeping a half,” said Hille.
The two halves would then be put together again on the day repayment was due in order to compare them, with both sides hoping that they matched. (ANI)
- Take care with 'energy shot' drinks - Mar 01, 2010
- New DNA model identifies first European farmers - Nov 10, 2010
- Man held for failing to repay loan to 1,000 lenders - Feb 06, 2012
- Please save Greece's monuments, say archaeologists - Mar 15, 2012
- Police in China hunt for 'runaway bosses' - Oct 26, 2011
- "Extraordinary" skeleton of woman from early Bronze Age found in Germany - Nov 08, 2009
- Remains of 'Saxon queen Eadgyth' found in German cathedral - Jun 19, 2010
- Over 100 ancient tombs found in Chinese town - Jun 27, 2011
- Archaeologists solve tower of Jericho puzzle? - Feb 18, 2011
- Sparrows twittering louder to be heard - Apr 03, 2012
- Eurozone reaches Greek bailout deal - Feb 21, 2012
- Zsa Zsa Gabor back in hospital after spitting up blood - Mar 30, 2011
- China facilitates debt-for-equity swaps for firms - Nov 23, 2011
- Oetzi, the 5,000-year-old 'Iceman' may have had ceremonial burial - Aug 26, 2010
- Chile firm to sell mine from which 33 men rescued to avoid bankruptcy - Nov 26, 2010
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,