4,000 yrs old brightly painted mummies found in Egypt necropolisApril 14th, 2009 - 1:50 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, April 14 (ANI): Archaeologists working in an Egyptian oasis have found a necropolis containing dozens of brightly painted mummies dating back as far as 4,000 years.
The necropolis was uncovered near the Ilahun pyramid in Fayoum oasis south of Cairo.
According to a report in Middle East Online, the linen-wrapped mummies are painted in the still-bright traditional ancient Egyptian colours of turquoise, terracotta and gold.
“The mission found dozens of mummies in 53 rock-hewn tombs dating to the Middle Kingdom from 2061-1786 BC,” said Zahi Hawass, Egypt’s antiquities chief.
“Four of the mummies date back to the 22nd Dynasty (931 to 725 BC) and are considered some of the most beautiful mummies found,” he added.
Abdel-Rahman el-Ayedi, who headed the mission, said that a Middle Kingdom funerary chapel with an offering table was also found, and that it was probably used up to the Roman era which lasted from 30 BC to 337 AD.
The team also found 15 painted masks, along with amulets and clay pots, according to Hawass. (ANI)
- 57 ancient tombs found in Egypt - May 24, 2010
- Archaeologists discover huge 2,500-year-old tomb near Cairo - Jan 05, 2010
- Colourful ancient tombs unearthed in Egypt - Jul 08, 2010
- Swiss museum to return 4,000-year-old relic to Egypt - May 13, 2011
- Egyptian team in Jaipur re-preserves 2300 old mummy - Mar 08, 2011
- Discovery in Saudi Arabia suggests Egyptian empire extended further than thought - Nov 12, 2010
- Archeologists discover golden-masked mummies in Egypt - Apr 09, 2009
- Egypt museum treasures being repaired - Feb 08, 2011
- Ancient bakery discovered in Egyptian Desert - Aug 26, 2010
- Prehistoric fishing tackle found in Egypt - May 13, 2009
- Mexico returns archaeological piece to Egypt - Apr 29, 2011
- Statue of King Tut's grandfather unearthed - Nov 07, 2010
- Ancient Egyptian priest's tomb discovered in Giza - Oct 19, 2010
- Ancient mummies, among other relics unearthed in Egypt - Jan 26, 2008
- Statue of Tutankhamun's grandfather found - Oct 04, 2010
Tags: amulets, antiquities, april 14, archaeologists, cairo, clay pots, colours, dozens, dynasty, egypt, fayoum oasis, gold, masks, middle east, mummies, necropolis, pyramid, rock hewn tombs, terracotta