3.4 lakh drug users de-addicted in three years: MinisterMarch 15th, 2010 - 7:24 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, March 15 (IANS) Around 340,000 people have benefited from drug de-addiction centres in the country over the last three years, Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment D. Napolean said Monday.
“The Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment under the scheme of assistance for prevention of alcoholism and substance (drugs) abuse is financially assisting the eligible organisations for running 401 Integrated Rehabilitation Centres for Addicts (IRCA) all over the country,” Napolean informed the Lok Sabha.
“Furthermore, the ministry of health and family welfare has established 122 drug de-addiction centres in government hospitals. It also provides financial assistance to eligible organisations, including NGOs, for running de-addiction centres to provide integrated services for rehabilitation of addicts, including youth,” he added.
Of the total de-addiction centres across the country, 36 have been sanctioned in the last three years. Seven of them are located in Madhya Pradesh alone.
“About 340,000 persons have benefited through these de-addiction centres in the last three years,” Napolean said.
On the role of NGOs, he said: “Reputed NGOs with adequate experience and good track record are designated as Regional Resource and Training Centres and are financially assisted for capacity building and skill development for service providers at the regional level.”
- How to detox - Delhi centres show the way - Aug 29, 2012
- High drop-out rate hits Delhi's tobacco cessation centres - Jun 04, 2012
- Himachal to open drug de-addiction centres - Jun 26, 2011
- June 26: International Day Against Drug Abuse and Illicit Trafficking - Jun 26, 2009
- Punjab does a reality check as a 'drugged' state - Jul 01, 2010
- More drug de-addiction centres mooted across India - Feb 24, 2010
- D Napolean assumes charge as Minister of State for Social Justice and Empowerment - Jun 01, 2009
- Never touched alcohol, tobacco, says Ghulam Nabi Azad - Jun 26, 2009
- Corporates, public urged to support National Culture Fund - Jun 21, 2011
- Eliminate beggary in humane manner, states told - Nov 11, 2010
- Punjab to bring law for de-addiction centres - Dec 23, 2009
- Over 35,000 drug users treated in China - Oct 01, 2011
- J -K Police organize camp to create awareness about drug abuse - Jun 27, 2010
- Children of lesser god living it out on the streets (Dec 10 is Human Rights Day) - Dec 10, 2011
- Drug addiction, a curse for youth in border areas of Punjab - May 04, 2010
Tags: adequate experience, alcoholism, capacity building, drug users, drugs abuse, empowerment, government hospitals, integrated services, Lok Sabha, minister of state, ministry of health, ministry of health and family welfare, napolean, prevention of alcoholism, regional level, regional resource, rehabilitation centres, role of ngos, skill development, social justice