Ranbaxy launches bio-generic product for osteoporosis patientsApril 3rd, 2008 - 3:18 pm ICT by admin
Mumbai, April 3 (IANS) Ranbaxy Thursday said it launched the world’s first bio-generic product Bonista-Teriparatide injection for the treatment of osteoporosis, a disease that leads to an increased risk of bone fracture. The product was indigenously researched at Virchow Biotech and developed with aid from the Department of Science and Technology.
Commenting on the launch of the product, Sanjeev I. Dani, senior vice president and regional director (Asia & CIS), Ranbaxy, said: “The osteoporosis segment in India currently has a market size of around Rs.2.19 billion and grew more than two percent in value terms in 2006-07.
“With growing longevity, osteoporosis, a condition characterised by loss of bone mass, would gain increased attention.”
Ranbaxy Laboratories Ltd. has a number of new products in its pipeline including Bonista, for the osteoporosis patients who are normally treated by orthopaedics and gynaecologists.
Launched in collaboration with Virchow Biotech Pvt Ltd, which is based in Hyderabad, Bonista is a quality bio-generic therapeutic option to doctors, he said.
An estimated 61 million people in India are reported affected by osteoporosis.
Although data on the prevalence of osteoporotic fractures is limited, it is estimated that each year, osteoporosis causes more than 1.5 million fractures, resulting in permanent disability, loss of independence and death.
- 'Osteoporosis strikes young due to sedentary lifestyle' (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 19, 2010
- New research holds promise for development of novel osteoporosis drug - Oct 05, 2010
- India clears 22 FDI proposals worth $112.5 million - Apr 20, 2012
- Osteoporosis drug can mend hard-to-heal elderly fractures - Apr 15, 2009
- Wine could help protect older women from thinning bones - Aug 03, 2012
- Keep tab on osteoporosis pain-reliever: Experts (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 19, 2011
- Long-term use of osteoporosis drugs raises risk of fractures - Feb 23, 2011
- Osteoporosis, the next big health worry for India (Oct 20 is World Osteoporosis Day) - Oct 20, 2011
- Existing osteoporosis drug may keep joint injuries from causing long-term osteoarthritis - Sep 13, 2009
- Drug counters bone-damaging effects of breast cancer medication - Oct 10, 2011
- New gene could trigger osteoporosis - Oct 05, 2011
- Over 250 companies to participate in BioAsia 2012 - Feb 07, 2012
- Fracture prone? Blame your genes - Apr 22, 2012
- Playing basketball, soccer staves off Osteoporosis - May 07, 2012
- Modified bone drug kills malaria parasite - Feb 28, 2012
Tags: asia, bone fracture, department of science and technology, generic product, launch, osteoporosis, osteoporosis patients, ranbaxy, regional director, risk, science and technology, senior vice president, teriparatide, treatment of osteoporosis