300 taken ill after marriage feast in GujaratNovember 21st, 2008 - 12:00 am ICT by IANS
Ahmedabad, Nov 20 (IANS) At least 300 people, including women and children, fell sick due to suspected food poisoning after a marriage feast in a Gujarat village Thursday, the police said.The guests ate fruit salad at around 4 p.m. after which many began vomiting and exhibited food poisoning symptoms, a health official said.
“Over a dozen medical officers and paramedical staff have been pressed into service after the incident,” said chief district Health Officer Nayanbhai Jani.
According to Mehsana district collector Ajay Bhadoo, an inquiry would be held into the incident. “We have directed the concerned department to collect the samples of the fruit salad,” he said.