24-hour Maoist ultimatum to PM KoiralaJune 17th, 2008 - 3:02 pm ICT by ANI
Kathmandu, June 17 (ANI): Communist Party of Nepal-Maoist (CPN-M) has given a 24-hour ultimatum to Prime Minister Girija Prasad Koirala to facilitate formation of the new government.
In a meeting with PM Koirala at his residence in Baluwatar on Monday, Maoist Chairman Pushpa Kamal Dahal said Maoists will quit the government if consensus is not reached on formation of the next government under the Maoist leadership by Tuesday evening.
“The issues of People liberation Army management and return of confiscated property should have been settled before the Constituent Assembly (CA) election,” he added.
Senior Maoist leader Dr Baburam Bhattarai, who accompanied Dahal said: “PM Koirala must step down for us to form the next government. Nepali Congress is intentionally prolonging the government formation process.”
“All the issues raised by Nepali Congress can be dealt with along with the formation of the next government,” Dr Bhattarai said, adding, “But the conditions shouldn’t obstruct government formation.”
In response Koirala said that the Maoists should first settle all other issues including management of arms and armies, return of confiscated property and dissolution of the military structure of the YCL before claiming the right to form the next government.
Koirala told Dahal that the people’s mandate was for consensual politics, Kantipur reported. (ANI)
- Nepal parties reach power sharing deal - May 03, 2012
- Nepal: UML to field its PM candidate today - Jul 19, 2010
- Will 13 prove lucky for Nepal's new PM? - Sep 05, 2011
- PM, Prachanda discuss govt formation, statute amendment - Jul 10, 2008
- India treads gingerly in Nepal - Aug 31, 2011
- New Nepal PM likely to be sworn in Sunday - Feb 04, 2011
- Nepal PM urges Koirala to support govt's decision to sack Army Chief - Apr 28, 2009
- Nepal's opposition parties to hold anti-PM rally - Jun 02, 2012
- Maoists return to power in Nepal - Aug 28, 2011
- Nepal fails to get new constitution for third time - Aug 30, 2011
- After roses, new Nepal PM faces thorns - Sep 04, 2011
- Maoists stop Honda sale in Nepal - May 21, 2011
- Nepal president wants new government by Sunday - Aug 15, 2011
- Indian foreign secretary's Nepal visit ends - Jan 20, 2011
- New Nepal PM to visit India, sidestepping controversy - Sep 07, 2011
Tags: army management, communist party of nepal, communist party of nepal maoist, consensual politics, constituent assembly, cpn, dahal, girija prasad koirala, government formation, kamal, kathmandu, maoist, maoists, military structure, people liberation army, prime minister girija prasad koirala, pushpa, tuesday evening, ultimatum, ycl