14-year-old girl foils marriage attempt in BengalMay 1st, 2012 - 4:51 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, May 1 (IANS) She is 14 years old and a school dropout, but West Bengal resident Seema still mustered up the courage to stand up to her family and foiled an attempt to get her married by calling a helpline.
The Class 7 dropout, who was to tie the nuptial knot Wednesday, called up the helpline number urging them to intervene and stop her marriage, police said Tuesday. The incident took place in Purulia district.
“The girl, a resident of Beldi village under Arsha police station called up Childline, and informed them that she was being married off. Subsequently we intervened and rescued the girl,” district police superintendent C. Sudhakar said.
While her father was remanded to 14 days’ judicial custody by a local court, the girl was sent to a government home.
“After we started the awareness campaign regarding child marriage in late 2008, at least 64 girls have resisted early marriage in the district, which is a great achievement,” said Prosenjit Kundu, assistant labour commissioner of the district.
- Five Bengal girls fight child marriages - Dec 31, 2011
- Couple arrested for harassing minor maids - Apr 27, 2012
- Band baaja baarat on Delhi streets Tuesday - Apr 23, 2012
- Rajasthan girl seeks annulment of her child marriage - Jun 18, 2012
- Another Rajasthan woman wants annulment of child marriage - Jun 27, 2012
- Groom marries bride who got raped - Feb 24, 2012
- Jilted man kills girl - Jan 12, 2012
- Chandigarh's elderly bank on 100 in times of trouble - Jan 06, 2012
- On the rise: Divorces under 25 - Dec 29, 2011
- Hundreds of Falaks go unnoticed at Delhi's shelter homes - Feb 22, 2012
- Court asks police to produce illegally confined girl - Jun 22, 2012
- Ban on calling women, elderly to Gurgaon police stations - Nov 09, 2010
- Man arrested in Rajasthan for selling off wife - Aug 04, 2012
- Spurned lover kills four, self - Sep 03, 2012
- Rajasthan woman seeks annulment of her child marriage - Aug 04, 2012
Tags: awareness campaign, child marriage, childline, courage, district police, early marriage, helpline number, judicial custody, kolkata, labour commissioner, local court, may 1, nuptial knot, old girl, police station, police superintendent, school dropout, seema, sudhakar, west bengal