12,000 birds culled in Assam after bird flu outbreakNovember 29th, 2008 - 12:20 pm ICT by IANS
Guwahati, Nov 29 (IANS) Authorities in Assam have culled some 12,000 of the estimated 60,000 birds ordered to be killed after an outbreak of the deadly bird flu virus in the region, officials said Saturday.Culling operations are on in the district of Kamrup since Friday and so far about 12,000 chickens and ducks were killed, Manoranjan Choudhury, deputy director of Assam’s veterinary department, told IANS.
The culling is being carried out in 48 villages within a five kilometre radius of village Thakurchuba in Kamrup district, about 40 km west of Assam’s main city of Guwahati.
The poultry targeted includes ducks and chickens. About 20 Rapid Response Teams comprising about seven personnel, including a veterinarian, are engaged in the operation that is expected to continue for about a week until the entire area is depopulated of the estimated 60,000 poultry, Parthajyoti Gogoi, a central health ministry official said.
The Indian health ministry Thursday confirmed the outbreak of bird flu after laboratory tests confirmed strains of the deadly H5N1 avian influenza. More than 300 birds died in the past one week in the area. Assam’s veterinary and animal husbandry department has sounded an alert and is maintaining strict surveillance on farms in the state with veterinarians carrying out checks on all poultry.
A central health ministry team is also assisting the local authorities in the culling operations. We have taken all precautionary health measures as well in the area to ensure than humans are not affected, Gogoi said.
The World Health Organization (WHO) fears that the H5N1 strain could mutate into a form easily transmitted between humans and spark a deadly pandemic. Sale and purchase of poultry in the area was banned.
- 40,000 poultry culled in Assam after bird flu outbreak - Dec 01, 2008
- Bird flu wreaks havoc in Assam, spreads to new areas - Dec 11, 2008
- Chicken culling starts, as bird flu strikes Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Bird flu spreading to new areas in Assam - Dec 26, 2008
- Assam on alert after bird flu spreads to new areas - Dec 03, 2008
- Bird flu could spread to humans in Assam, warns health minister - Dec 11, 2008
- Tripura begins culling to contain bird flu - Jan 27, 2012
- Fresh cases of bird flu in Tripura - Mar 06, 2011
- Bird flu: Culling begins in Tripura - Mar 08, 2011
- Assam bird flu due to migratory birds: Ramadoss - Nov 29, 2008
- Meghalaya sounds alert on bird flu - Feb 18, 2011
- Tripura on bird flu alert; central teams arrive - Feb 19, 2011
- 300,000 people in bird flu-hit Assam under surveillance - Dec 12, 2008
- Tripura, Mizoram on bird flu alert - Feb 25, 2011
- Indian states bordering Bangladesh vulnerable to bird flu (Lead) - Mar 23, 2011