12 students fall ill after swallowing iron tabletsNovember 7th, 2008 - 3:13 pm ICT by IANS
Lucknow, Nov 7 (IANS) Twelve students fell ill and had to be taken to the nearest health centre after consuming iron tablets given by the health staff of their school in an Uttar Pradesh village, officials said Friday.”The incident took place Thursday at the government-run Dayanand Primary School in Mishran village in Jaunpur district, some 150 km from Lucknow,” Deputy Chief Medical Officer Rajeev Yadav told IANS.
After consuming the iron tablets, nearly a dozen students complained of severe stomach ache and vomiting, following which they were taken to a community health centre, officials said.
“Now all the students are doing fine,” Yadav said.
According to Yadav, an inquiry into the matter has been initiated.
“We still need to confirm what made the students ill. The stock of iron tablets has been seized and has been sent to the lab for testing,” Yadav said.