103mn-yr-old first horned dino identified in South KoreaDecember 7th, 2010 - 6:08 pm ICT by ANI
Washington, Dec 7 (ANI): An international team of scientists has identified a new horned dinosaur that lived about 103 million years ago, in South Korea.
The newly identified genus, Koreaceratops hwaseongensis, lived during the late Early Cretaceous period. It is the first specimen of the Ceratopsian dinosaur found in the Korean peninsula.
The partial skeleton includes a significant portion of the animal’s backbone, hip bone, partial hind limbs and a nearly complete tail.
The Koreaceratops hwaseongensis is named for Korea and Hwaseong City, which yielded the fossil. It was discovered in 2008 in a block of rock along the Tando Basin reservoir. It is one of the first articulated dinosaurs known from Korea.
“This is a rare find,” said Michael J. Ryan of The Cleveland Museum of Natural History, who co-authored the research.
“Fossils of dinosaurs have not typically been found in this region, whereas evidence of dinosaur eggs and footprints occur more commonly. This specimen is significant because it fills in a missing 20 million-year gap in the fossil record between the origin of these dinosaurs in Asia and their first appearance in North America,” said Ryan.
At approximately 5 to 6 feet long and weighing about 60 to 100 pounds, the animal was relatively small compared to the geologically younger, giant relatives like Triceratops found in North America.
The results were published in the journal Naturwissenchaften: The Science of Nature. (ANI)
- New horned dinosaur discovered - May 29, 2010
- Scientists identify long lost cousin of T. rex in China - Apr 01, 2011
- Triceratops, Torsaurus same dino at different stages of growth - Jul 15, 2010
- Newly discovered dino 'may be father of Triceratops' - Feb 01, 2011
- Dwarfed horned dinos may have migrated from Asia to Europe - May 27, 2010
- New giant horned dinosaur is actually an ancestor of Triceratops - Jun 16, 2010
- Dinos were pretty picky when it came to where they roamed about - Oct 16, 2010
- New dinosaur species found in China - Aug 29, 2010
- T.rex was 'more hyena than lion' - Feb 23, 2011
- For 80mn years, Tyrannosaurs were the size of humans - Sep 17, 2010
- 'Micro-polygons' - only true identification of genuine dino skin - Jun 17, 2010
- Chinese paleontologists discover large feathered dinosaur - Apr 06, 2012
- Remains of plant-eating dinosaurs fround in Antartica - Dec 20, 2011
- Scientists discover bizzare horned dinos on 'lost continent' in Utah - Sep 23, 2010
- Scientists find car-sized turtle fossil - May 18, 2012
Tags: basin reservoir, ceratopsian dinosaur, cleveland museum of natural history, dinosaur eggs, early cretaceous period, first appearance, fossil record, fossils of dinosaurs, gap, hind limbs, hip bone, horned dinosaur, korean peninsula, michael j ryan, million years, museum of natural history, partial skeleton, south korea, specimen, triceratops