10-month-old boy is second polio victim in DelhiMay 4th, 2008 - 10:42 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, May 4 (IANS) Despite being vaccinated, a 10-month-old boy in Delhi was Sunday found to have contracted polio, nearly two months after the capital reported India’s first case of the wild polio virus known as P1. According to Delhi health ministry sources, the baby-boy from a slum in Okhla in south Delhi was found infected with the P3 polio virus.
“The baby has been detected with the less virulent form of virus. This is Delhi’s second case of polio in 2008. We are worried,” a senior ministry official told IANS.
He said the fresh victim, identified as Azad, is son of a rickshaw puller. “The kid has also received four doses of polio drops.”
Authorities said the new case had again brought the spotlight on Delhi. Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit recently said the “city will be polio free soon”.
“We had carried out a special round of the polio immunisation programme in the recent past and hope to see some results. The worrying point is that the national capital continues to report fresh polio cases,” the official added.
Authorities said they were investigating Azad’s case. They said efforts would be made to find out whether the baby had contracted the infection elsewhere.
The baby who was detected in March to be suffering from polio had migrated from Bihar.
Till April 25, India has reported 203 cases of polio cases. Of these, Bihar reported 157 cases and Uttar Pradesh 40.
Besides Delhi, Orissa, West Bengal and Haryana have reported polio cases during the last four months.
- Polio under control but India aims at eradication: Azad - Oct 23, 2011
- 2011 crucial for India to eradicate polio: WHO - Oct 24, 2011
- WHO finds polio virus in Delhi sewage - Feb 15, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- Polio cases drop significantly, new campaign launched - Jan 22, 2011
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- West Bengal polio case false alarm, says health ministry - Mar 30, 2012
- Bivalent polio vaccine launched in Delhi, Uttar Pradesh - Feb 07, 2010
- India to support global polio eradication: Azad - Feb 26, 2012
- 'Low chances of polio coming to India from Pakistan' - May 31, 2012
- After no polio, India aims to eradicate measles: Azad - Feb 26, 2012
- Over 17 crore kids get polio vaccine - Feb 19, 2012
- Gates praises India for containing polio - May 31, 2012
- How battle against polio was won in Uttar Pradesh - Jan 24, 2011
- President Patil launches 2011 'Pulse Polio' campaign - Jan 22, 2011
Tags: azad, baby boy, bihar, chief minister, four months, haryana, health ministry, ministry official, ministry sources, new case, orissa, polio, polio cases, polio victim, polio virus, rickshaw puller, sheila dikshit, slum, south delhi, west bengal