Women’s insecurity in capital a matter of shame, says Delhi CM DikshitMarch 8th, 2011 - 10:20 pm ICT by ANI
New Delhi, Mar 8 (ANI): Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit on Tuesday said it is a matter of great shame that women do not feel secure in the capital of the country.
Speaking at a function to celebrate International Women’s Day, which was also attended by Delhi Police Commissioner B K Gupta, Dikshit said: “We invited you here to convey our great concern over the feeling of insecurity among the women in the city. Leaving aside the statistics, I want to ask you do we feel safe in the city, the males feel secure, but women do not feel the same way, why.”
Women and Child Welfare Minister Kiran Walia, who was also present on the occasion, asked the police personnel to step up efforts so that the women feel safe in the city.
“If police really acts, then we will not have this feeling of insecurity. Police must ensure safety of women. We have a role but our role is limited,” Walia said.
Asserting that vigilance in areas, where women are more prone to face harassments has been increased, Delhi Police Commissioner Gupta said: “We have also increased our presence in areas where students from North Eastern states reside. We are doing everything possible to make the city safe and secure.” (ANI)
- Delhi CM Dikshit meets murdered girl's family, assures help - Mar 09, 2011
- Police chief draws flak over women's safety comment - Jul 10, 2011
- Politicians raise heat over college girl's murder - Mar 09, 2011
- Sheila Dikshit worried for women's safety in Delhi - Apr 07, 2012
- Major steps will be taken to make Delhi safe: Dikshit - Dec 13, 2010
- Delhi mayor attacks chief minister over women's safety - May 08, 2012
- People not helping make Delhi safe for women: Dikshit - Mar 08, 2011
- Cops do not understand harassed women's woes: Delhi minister - Jul 21, 2012
- Women activists slam Delhi Police chief's remark (Lead) - Jul 10, 2011
- Security of Delhi legislators to be tightened: Dikshit - Jun 02, 2012
- Rape, molestation cases in Delhi up in 2010 (Lead) - Jan 06, 2011
- No child can be denied admission: Dikshit - Sep 30, 2011
- Delhi Police to up vigil in crime prone areas (Lead) - Feb 16, 2011
- Day after fire, anxious, angry wait at hospital - Nov 21, 2011
- Delhi Police to increase vigil in outer Delhi areas: Gupta - Feb 16, 2011
Tags: chief minister, delhi cm, delhi police, eastern states, insecurity, international women, k gupta, kiran, New Delhi, police commissioner, presence, safe in the city, shame, sheila dikshit, statistics, vigilance, walia, women and child welfare